Pack so light you come home with less?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cribbss

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Yep. Thats what I do.

Here is a handy tip I try to do every time I travel. Pack only clothes you DO NOT WANT. What? Why would I do that? Well you throw away everything after the trip is over, plus you get to clean out your closet! Now on the way home you have a nearly empty suitcase to fill with that special dive gear you just had to buy or trinkets and souvenirs you acquired, or even better spread some of you gear around and lower your luggage weight.

For example, I am going to the Keys to dive in two weeks. All my clothes are going right in the hotel room trash after I wear it. Those old tennis shoes I wear to mow the lawn, I pack em. That old t-shirt that's got a company logo to a business I no longer work for, in the suitcase. Socks with holes in the toes, shorts that have a broken belt loop, you names it. Now it dosent mean you have to dress like a homeless person, just clean out your closet a little.

By the way this would be handy advice to follow if you are like fppf:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...235616-how-we-pack-get-around-second-bag.html

Makes for easier travel! Well enjoy your diving adventures and keep your feet wet!

Thats so crazy it might just work. Supposing of course your not trying to pick up any women.

Done a version of that for years. We seem to accumulate all of these T-Shirts with advertising logos. Take them on the trip. When you're done, rinse them out and hand them to your DM along with the tip.

Insulated thermal mugs (big and clunky) stay behind as well.

I don't think I could bring myself to do the clothing thing! I do stick with a pared down set of clothes and tend to pack mostly the same set all the time, but they're favorites. If I'm willing to toss something, I don't want to wear it on vacation to begin with! (There may be a guy/girl difference here. :wink: ) If I did leave usable clothes someplace, I'd try and find someone who wants them or some charity drop, rather than the trash.

My version of this is to pack books and magazines I don't want to save, and donate them to the swap library when I finish them. I usually take the National Geographics I don't get to at home. They're heavy, and people seem to like getting them.

we've been doing this for years - we give away as much clothing and gear as possible.

we dont leave rubbish as the stuff still has alot of wear/use in them but as we tend to holiday in countries where tipping is offensive but giving someone the shirt of your back is appreciated (vanuatu) we find giving our things to people that have made our holiday wonderful is appreciated

While I can see the logic in such a thing, I really would not feel my best on a trip that I looked forward to, wearing clothes that I was ready to part with.

Personally, I'd either pay the additional fees that coming home with more entailed or find creative ways to get anything I'd bought home, like mailing souvenirs home in flat rate boxes or some other such thing.

The only problem with this idea is that many dive destinations are in places that do not have the best garbage disposal. So while you get to rid of your crap, it becomes a problem for the locals. So instance, the crap left in the Keys has to be trucked a fair distance for disposal. As others have mentioned, if you wan to leave clothing and other items that still have reasonable life for the locals then that is a bit different. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the idea here.

Last month I took an old soft-sided bag and filled it full of medication and other needed stuff for a clinic on Roatan. Checked it through so I wouldn't have to handle it until arrival.

After delivering the stuff to Miss Peggy's clinic, the bag made a great dirty clothes bag for my return...:D

I used the same packing strategy for Bonaire in case the truck got pilfered while diving. I should have gone with the trash can afterwards because I still have the same old shirts to mow the lawn, change the oil and paint the porch.

I don't think I could bring myself to do the clothing thing! I do stick with a pared down set of clothes and tend to pack mostly the same set all the time, but they're favorites. If I'm willing to toss something, I don't want to wear it on vacation to begin with! (There may be a guy/girl difference here. :wink: ) If I did leave usable clothes someplace, I'd try and find someone who wants them or some charity drop, rather than the trash.

I see your point. I really should put an effort into donating my stuff instead of trashing it. I make my throw away clothes sound ratty but in reality they are perfectly good.

Scott

:cwmddd:
What? Its a monkey. I like monkeys...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom