Yikes! Carry on Police!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I flew home from CA yesterday, the first day of the imposed first bag fee, and tempers were flaring among passengers unable to find overhead bin space. Not pretty and certain to become worse.

When I was on the plane for my flight from Panama City to Newark, NJ this guy got on the plane cursing saying "F-ing Americans." Not sure where he was from but he sounded German or Dutch. Having been out of touch in the Galapagos but catching a headline about Bush wanting to bomb Iran, I asked him "What have the Americans done now?" He said that they always carry on big bags and take up all the overhead bin space. Funny, because all the people sitting around us were speaking Spanish so I assumed they were from Panama.

Yeah well bring back a template is going to be an issue caused by the airlines them selfs.

If you read the size restrictions for each carrier they spec them in linear inches. That means that someone can have a long skinny bag and someone else can have a square fat bag and both fit within there rules. So having one template wont work, by there own rules.

And if they change the size rules I'm really going to be pissed, luggage is pricey.

I wish the would stop jerking everyone around with the dam luggage, soda, carryons, and just raise the ticket price. It is what it is, they think we are to stupid to add up all there extra charges. In reality there just pissing everyone off.

[hijack]Exactly why I'm getting a drysuit to dive all year locally.[/hijack]

After hearing these stories, living in the Keys keeps getting better and better all the time

I flew home from CA yesterday, the first day of the imposed first bag fee, and tempers were flaring among passengers unable to find overhead bin space. Not pretty and certain to become worse.

that's pretty normal anyway. I am a million miler and have learned how to travel by air. most air travelers do not know, or care, how to travel and ignore the advice given them to make their travel easier. when you combine that with a general disregard for your fellow man its a mess.

I pack reasonably, always check my luggage, and stick my laptop in the overhead. The space beneath the seat in front of me is for my feet. period. in over 20 years of regular air travel I have never had a bag lost (even on 3rd world airlines) and only had it delayed 3 or 4 times. the hassle of dragging bags around, finding overhead space, etc outweighs the minimal risk of a lost bag.

why do people pack everything except he kitchen sink and then expect to be able to put it all in the overhead? doesn't make sense to me.

Flying from Houston to Guayaquil I was kind of ticked off because I couldn't find room in the overhead for my backpack. All the of the bins were filled up with regular sized suitcases and the flight attendants were scurrying trying to make everything fit. I commented about it to the person I was sitting next to, saying "Why can't these people check their bags?" It turns out that the plane was filled with volunteers from different churches bring medicines and other supplies to the poverty stricken in Ecuador and each one used a box of supplies as their checked luggage and carried on their clothes. I felt like a real jerk.

Flightlead
My carryon contains 1 extra set of cloths, incase they do lose my bag, and all camera gear.

When the airline monkeys learn to stop SLAMMING my bags from place to place; and the airlines will take responsablility for broken camera gear, I may think about checking more gear.

Until then, yes my wife and I each carryon 1 full size roller bag that is within the airlines own size requierments, and one backpack that fits properly under the seat.

You definitely don't want to check your camera gear when flying from Guayaquil to San Cristobal. There are no conveyor belts and they unload the suitcases by throwing them from the plane. My bag with my dive gear got messed up. I think my inflater got messed up in the process. Not enough to ruin my diving but when I inflated my bc at the end of the trip for it to dry, it wouldn't hold air. Glad I carried on my camera and housing.

Back
Top Bottom