How are you dealing with baggage charging when flying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougK

Contributor
Reaction score
With airlines going out of control about baggage I am curious how folks are dealing with the latest round of baggage restrictions/charges.

Have we reached the point that it would be a better idea to take a regulator and computer and rent everything else on location?

Is this all too new to really understand the impact on divers?

My diving stuff takes a bag by itself but that dosen't leave room for clothes. An understand I already know how to pack sparingly.

Any thougths? tips?

I believe it can be done OK with a 50 lb checked bag, a regulation carry-on bag and a personal item. My personal item is a gutted hard sided brief case that will hold 3 regulators with just a little hose disassembly. I won't be doing air travel with my 6 lb metal plate and 30 lb wing anymore. I replaced it with the 10 oz. ultra-lite plate and 18 lb travel wing from oxycheck which should save me about 6-7 lb. I even downsized to plastic cam straps and buckles and a small safety sausage rather than the DSMB. I'll pack the heavy stuff like batteries in the carry-on where possible. I really believe I'll still have room for a small pony bottle in the carry-on bag if needed.

My wife/buddy has also agreed to go lighter. Last trip (pre-restrictions) we had 2 big bags @ 45 to 50 lb each (including my old BP/W and her pillow), 2 small bags @ about 20 lb each, our personal items, and one backpack with masks and a few light things in it. I'm sure it can be done.

I don’t think there are two of us that will do the exact same thing. I know that I’m taking my OWN gear, less weights, and paying the extra costs should there be any. You are either going to pay at the ticket counter for gear you know and trust or pay some low paid unknown yahoo you have no clue about to give you gear you have no idea what condition it’s in.

Trying to be a penny pincher here my not be the deal you think it might be.

Gary D.

I can get all my warm water gear, clothing and necessities in a carry on bag, if I don't take the really long fins.

On the other hand, the baggage surcharge is what I'd pay for a dinner or a t-shirt at the destination. After airfare, lodging, diving, etc., is it really that big a deal?

Go light! In the end it is the price your willing to pay to get what you "Need" to where you want to be or need to be! It will be interesting to see if Continental will still honor their sports packages! Sell you a dive vacation and then don't allow the gear for the vacation? Ski, Golf, and a number of other sports are depended on equipment and the airlines have sold packages to promote those destinations, so time and fuel costs will tell! I was up set when the limit went down from 70 to 50 as my Housing was designed and cased to be under 70lbs and I pay extra every time I fly, both ways, anywhere from 25 to $80 (Delta) both ways!

I wish they would just raise prices and not nickel and dime passenger with charges.

Whats next a seat charge?

Where are you heading-----wife & I just went to CZM, 2 checked bags, one all the dive gear for 2(inculding BC's) 48#s and the other with our clothes 47#s.....Only put a regulator each in each other's carryons........

Last edited:
They have to charge what they have to charge and the more thewy carry, the more it costs to cary it.

But personally, I don't fly anyplace unless it is REALLY IMPORTANT or I'm being payed! I haven't ever liked the way I was treated by airlines and airports so it just isn't someplace I'd go for fun. While I've flown hundreds of times, I could count on one hand the number of times that I've flown without someone else paying the bill...and that isn't likely to change.

Paying a little extra in order to have your own stuff with you is worth it! And I agree, bring your regs. on your carry on. At least you are familiar with your own gear and wont have to worry about possibly getting crappy, unreliable equipment at a dive shop!

You wont have to worry about bagging a dive and wishing you had paid the extra in the long run!

With airlines going out of control about baggage I am curious how folks are dealing with the latest round of baggage restrictions/charges.

Any thougths? tips?

Most of the new baggage charges are waived for "premium" travelers: people who are in the frequent flier program and fly about 25,000 miles each year on that airline.

I know 25,000 miles sounds like a lot...and it is. From most of the US, one trip to Hawaii and one trip to the Caribbean will put you about halfway, so you will need a few business trips, visits to your grandma, and/or one big overseas trip to get there.

The trick is to work the frequent flier programs. Based on your local airport(s), figure out which program works best, and try stick with their carriers, even if it costs a little more. Then look for their affinity programs...a lot of time you can get miles for stuff you'd do anyway, from getting a credit card to eating out to refinancing your home.

In the US, you got:

American (American, Alaskan)
Star Alliance (United, US Air)
SkyTeam (Delta, Northwest, Continental (note -- Continental is planning to move to Star Alliance in 2009))

Each program has too many international affiliates to mention. Also, some airlines have bilateral reciprocity agreements. Doing a little homework really pays off. Make sure you look at the hotel and rental car programs, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom