Cheap Diving Near North America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Other than the Bay Islands (Utila in town and West End on Roatan) are there any other locations with cheap diving. Not just boat diving for $30 per tank or less, but cheap lodging and reasonable food.

(Actually Cozumel comes close if you do it right, but I am looking for anything that I might have missed.)

My dive buddy and I take the total price of a trip and divide it by the number of dives to come up with a price-per-dive ratio.

It all comes down to airfare though. We luckily fly for free on most of our trips due to playing the Frequent Flyer mile promotions for the airlines.

Our best price-per-dive ratios so far.
1. Cocoview Roatan (free airfare plus 4-5 dives per day make this insane)
2. Blackbeard's (4-5 dives per day, we paid for airfare to Ft Lauderdale and this was still a great value)
3. Cozumel (Christi at BlueXT was able to get us third dives most days we were here, that plus free airfare made it extemely great ratio wise)
4. Little Cayman Beach Resort, Little Cayman (yes, we went in the extreme off-season right before they closed for renovation week, we flew for free and they gave us a sweet deal on our 3 dive/day package, when we got there, they gave us separate rooms for free as well.)

Now, most people wouldn't think of LCBR as a great value and would ignore it when looking for a good value. When it comes to good value diving, going for the low hanging fruit (Roatan) is a good bet, but always make sure to check the places you really want to go since you can get great deals sometimes. We have our local dive shop call places for us and get the prices. This helps too.

deco martini,

I have been to all of those places, including using Christi at BlueXTC. All of them are great. However, rather than looking at cost per dive as a ratio, I am looking at the components. My trips tend to be longer than a week, and my cost per dive on a ratio basis may not be as low as possible. I usually only do 2 dives per day. Its more like 2 morning dives & then kick back for the rest of the day plus a bit of partying in the evening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom