Where to dive in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kchelton

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My family is thinking of a December trip. Some will be divers, but there will be several non-divers on the trip. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good place to dive in December (where the water is warm) that also has a variety of topside activities as well? We're looking for a place that is family-friendly (there will be a baby on the trip too!) and some fishing would be great for the non-divers. I think we're trying to stay close - Carribean or Central America (no Asia or Australia trips this time around:))

Note the five related previous threads that pop up at the bottom of this thread.

This question comes around often. You've been to Cayman, right? (your prior posts)

You mention:

- The time of year, December. Stormy in some islands
- Some non divers
- Topside activities (drinking or something more?)(Fishing, is that it?)
- an infant along (health support issues)

That expands the parameters of the question, but nothing that hasn't been researched by others.

Is cost an issue? (Okay, so exactly how much isn't it an issue?)

How much diving (per day) did you want to get in?

Thanks for the tip. I looked through the threads and didn't find much helpful previous info (mainly b/c we have some specific criteria).

I mentioned the infant b/c health support is going to be a concern. My husband is deploying to Iraq in January, so we're trying to get in one last vacation/dive trip before whe goes, despite that our son will only be about 4 1/2 months old at the time. So, with the baby, I know that limits our options.

My father-in-law loves fishing and is not a diver, so fishing would be a huge plus. Also, for the lady non-divers, I was hoping to find something with a beach, some hiking or other outdoor activities. Our first thought was Roatan, but having been there before, I didn't think there was too much for the non-divers. Also, the place we stay at (AKR), I think is on the wrong side of the island for diving that time of the year. I think I also heard somewhere that it can be chilly. So, that got us wondering about water temps in the Caribbean ... will they be chilly too???

Cost will come into play later, but for now, we're mainly concerned with finding a location that offers some nice diving (without being too cold or having too poor of vis). I think we'd like to be able to dive each day, but if it's only one trip a day, that's fine. My husband and I are the only divers on the trip (although we're trying to get his sister and aunt to get certified).

I hadn't seen too much info on Caribbean diving in December, and what I did find, it sounded cold. People were saying they were wearing 5 mils and hoods in some of the posts I read.

I would look into going to Belize. Lots of topside activities, fishing, Mayan ruins to visit, zoo, eco tours, and diving. Water stays pretty warm all year. Not sure about medical facilities though.
Look at some of these websites for info:
Caribbean Dive Island Vacations at Bay Adventures
Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations
the other option would be Grand Cayman. More expensive than Belize though.

Cozumel is nice but weather is always iffy that time of year meaning dives can get cancelled as boats can't go out. Also, I don't know about medical care available for a baby.
Bonaire is great, but the non-divers might be bored and miserable. Not much to do there besides dive and snorkel.

Mostly over looked San Andres Island has great diving northerly winds can be an issue in January, the water temps rarely reach below 80, a new hospital, fishing, zip line, nightlife, and a great beach.

Back
Top Bottom