Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amer1cana

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking for a good place to go when I'm on Christmas break this winter... so early January... I am just leaving Playa del Carmen Mexico, and it is about at the top of my price range, although I am very much considering coming back.

Does anyone have any ideas for a (relatively) cheap place, with great diving?

Hey guys, I am looking for a good place to go when I'm on Christmas break this winter... so early January... I am just leaving Playa del Carmen Mexico, and it is about at the top of my price range, although I am very much considering coming back.

Does anyone have any ideas for a (relatively) cheap place, with great diving?

January is tough for predicting diving weather. PDC and Cozumel tend to have northerly wind issues that month and water is too rough for diving every day, sometimes for a week at a time. I would recommend you look elsewhere.

BTW, you might want to fill in your profile so we can get a better understanding of where you fly out from for airfare/price info.

More info please:
Cheap is relative - like what price range? how many people? divers or non-divers? how many dives per day are you looking at? topside activities?

robin:D

Maybe some more details?

I see from your other post that you are diving with Playa Scuba. Their rates show $35 a dive if you buy 6 dives. There are a lot of places you can go that would be less expensive, especially if you throw down for 10 dives.

Playa Del Carmen has "relatively cheap" housing that runs the range from really cheap to just kind of almost cheap.... on up to exotic expensive. What kind of cheap is cheap?

How many dollars per day were you looking to spend on housing?

Give your experienced friends here something to work with.

Last edited:
January is tough for predicting diving weather. PDC and Cozumel tend to have northerly wind issues that month and water is too rough for diving every day, sometimes for a week at a time. I would recommend you look elsewhere.

BTW, you might want to fill in your profile so we can get a better understanding of where you fly out from for airfare/price info.

More info please:
Cheap is relative - like what price range? how many people? divers or non-divers? how many dives per day are you looking at? topside activities?

robin:D

Correct----US cold fronts can kill diving there, almost completely @ times.......I would look a little further south ie Roatan...Most resorts/shops on the north side simply move boats to a south harbor ie Brick Bay and you lose only an afternoon dive for the week........

The weather may kill the ocean diving, but I bet the cenotes are still divable. You could have a fantastic week of diving there without ever going in the ocean.

The weather may kill the ocean diving, but I bet the cenotes are still divable. You could have a fantastic week of diving there without ever going in the ocean.

Correct---& don't forget to bring your big checkbook for that trip---cenotes are expensive to dive on a daily basis for a week.........

You need to check Christmas airfare.

I had a free place to stay in Aruba last year and did not go due to airfare being through the roof!

Consider Old Providence and\or San Andres Island, Jan north winds can be a issue but if relevant the DO just dive on the other side of the islands. Prices are reasonable $799 for an 8night 7 day 6 double dives for my Old Providence package.

thanks for all the suggestions guys... still working on this trip haha

Back
Top Bottom