Problems w/ Sun Country Baggage Policy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaQTX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was reading the baggage policy for Sun Country and I came across something very strange. It seems to me that Sun Country will allow Skis, Clubs, etc., but not scuba equipment and will assess a fee for showing up to the airport with it. I've never encountered this before, so I assume I'm reading it wrong. (it doesn't help that it is so poorly written)

Sporting Equipment
One (1) item of the following sporting equipment may be substituted for one of your checked baggage.

* Fishing Equipment
One (1) item of fishing equipment consists of: two (2) rods up to six (6) feet in length, one (1) reel, one (1) landing net, one (1) pair of fishing boots (properly encased), and one (1) fishing tackle box.
* Golfing Equipment
One (1) item of golfing equipment consists of: one (1) golf bag containing not more than 20 golf clubs and one (1) pair of golf shoes.
* Skiing Equipment
One (1) item of skiing equipment consists of: one (1) pair of skis, one (1) pair of ski poles, one (1) pair of ski bindings, and one (1) pair of ski boots; or one (1) snowboard, one (1) set of bindings, and one (1) pair of boots. A maximum of two (2) pairs of skis per bag will be allowed. Skis and snowboards can be up to six (6) feet in length. NOTE: Items in excess of the allowance will be subject to excess baggage charges for a single piece, whether or not presented as a single piece.
* Bowling Equipment
One (1) item of bowling equipment consists of: one (1) bowling ball, one (1) bowling bag, and one (1) pair of bowling shoes. NOTE: Items in excess of allowances will be subject to charges. The following sporting equipment will be accepted as checked baggage, but will not be included in determining the free baggage allowance. These items will be subject to a specified charge per item.

The following sporting equipment will not be counted as a piece of your checked baggage allowance, and require additional fees.

NOTE: Sun Country does not provide bags or boxes for items listed below. Please call Sun Country Reservations at 1-800-359-6786, (Mon-Sun, 5am-Midnight Central Time), if you plan to bring any of the following items on you on your trip.

* Bicycles
Sun Country will accept non-motorized touring or racing bicycles with single seats. Bicycles must have the handlebars fixed sideways and the pedals removed, or be placed in a cardboard container, or the pedals and the handlebars must be encased in plastic foam or similar material. The charge is $90 per bicycle on all flights.
* Scuba-Diving Equipment
One item of scuba diving equipment consists of: One (1) regulator, one (1) pressure gauge, one (1) mask, two (2) fins, one (1) snorkel, one (1) knife, one (1) spear gun and one (1) BC-vest (cannot contain air cartridges). The charge is $90 on all flights. These items must be placed in a container that prevents damage to the equipment. Like all passenger airlines, we are prohibited from transporting scuba diving tanks, even if they are empty.
* Surfboard/Wakeboard
The charge for one (1) surfboard checked as baggage is $90 on all flights. The maximum length is five (5) feet.
* Windsurfing Equipment
One item of windsurfing equipment consists of: One (1) windsurfing board with a wooden boom, one (1) mast with a maximum length of five (5) feet and one (1) sail. The charge is $90 on all flights.

Now that I think about it, how could they enforce that policy? They don't look in your bag when you check in. Even if they looked at it later, are they going to run track you down and demand your credit card? They must put that in there to limit their exposure, to the extent they lose/damage your gear. Those sneaks!!! Good reason to put as much as possible in your carry on and in your personal item!!!

Wow, short boarders only. Leaves my 10'6" board out of it. Good think they'll fly my 120cm skis.

Sun Country Airlines:
Like all passenger airlines, we are prohibited from transporting scuba diving tanks, even if they are empty..

Wow, talk about a misinterpretation of well known Federal Regulations. (If the tanks are open, they may be transported)

Arguing would be like teaching a pig to sing...

It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Last time we flew Sun Country was March of '08, but I had no problem checking my stuff -- didn't have tank, but everything else. Is this a change to the policy? Used to be that they would give you a box for somethings if you needed it, so maybe they don't have boxes for Scuba anymore. It would be a nasty thing if these guys stopped providing good customer service, I can't afford first class, but with Sun Country I kinda forget that. I checked one bag -- not many clothes for the BVI :D Only slow down I had was out of my local airport, new TSA agent didn't know what she was looking at.

What I ran into last month was a new policy of charging to check luggage. Depending on when you booked your flight determined whether you were to be charged for checking a 2nd bag or not. I normally check one bag on the way down and 2 on the way up.

You were responsible for proving when you purchased your ticket, as the itenary printed from Apple vacations didn't have it on it. THere were many people stressing about it.

Personally, I just re-arranged my stuff, and went back to a single checked bag. No surcharge for dive gear either.

Hey I was still bothered by the "Like all passenger airlines, we are prohibited from transporting scuba diving tanks, even if they are empty."

So I went to TSA's website to look and this is what they say Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

Our Security Officers will NOT remove the seal or regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. Our Security Officers must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.

So I guess we just need to figure out a way to breath from a 3 oz tank so we can carry it on in our zip-lock baggies. :rofl3:

Seriously though can you argue a policy with a TSA agent when your checking your bag? Some of those folks take there jobs way too seriously.:confused:

What I ended up doing was putting my BC, Fins, and wet suit, and a few clothes in my one checked bag. I put everything else (computer, mask, regulator) and the rest of my clothes in my carry on and back pack. I am convinced its a sneaky lawyer trick to limit their exposure. When someone goes to them and demands 2 grand for their lost gear, Sun Country is going to say, "we are only giving you $400, because you did not pay the extra 90 bucks to transport scuba gear" (Since I am also a sneaky lawyer, I recognize it when I see it) Interestingly enough, the number that they list to call so that you can inquire about transporting scuba gear, does not allow for such an option. Oh well, as long as you know this ahead of time, you can limit your own exposure.

Update on Carrying Scuba Equipment Policy on Sun Country flights :

A Sun Country Supervisor just told me that as long as long as the Equipment fits in a bag that measures no more than 62 Linear Inches and is <= 50 lbs, it can be carried without paying a fee above what is normal (usually $25).

They still have that stoopid policy on the Tanks (Can't carry one even it does NOT contain a valve and can be visually inspected).

Will take this up with Legal cuz is nothing short of BS ..

Cheers and happy and safe diving !.

Back
Top Bottom