Where In September for LB Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shafan1234

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning a trip for 2 weeks at the beginning of September, and as everyone here has helped me plan my last 2 trips (Mozambique & Madgascar) - i was looking for some help...

I love BIG things!!

So far I have crossed off:
Kaveing, PNG - No diving room
Palau - rainy season
Galapagos - to expensive.

This is what I have on my list to look into:

Curacao
Grenada
Bay Islands
Old Providence

Or any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Your desire for "big things" and your list puzzles me. You have puzzled me previously.

The Caribbean holds no comparison to where you have been nor to what you have easy access to from London.

From Heathrow, they pretty well run busses with wings to places like the Red Sea, the Maldives and it's not all that hard to consider other delights that span over to the Pacific basin.

In regards to "Big Things", you might possibly see Whale Sharks in the Bay Islands, but you have access to better probabilities elsewhere. Otherwise, the Caribbean is fairly devoid of such large animals unless you put the occasional Shark in that list of desires. We have people from the States dragging all over the Caribbean just to see hand fed Sharks, but if that's what you want, why not go see the real thing in South Africa?

If you are thinking "rainy season" in regards to Palau, take a look at the Caribbean storm season and how that affects September.

If I were you I would try the Red Sea. The Caribbean is our inexpensive backyard pool. World class diving with big things? Not hardly.

Hi thanks for your opinion... and i take your point on board... the list is slightly random....i am looking for good diving with large pelagics a major advantage, i also love getting off the beaten tracks and away from crowds..... so I was throwing a few suggestions out to get some feedback....and admittedly i was thinking there still be might a haven or two left around the carib - but maybe not!

On the other side of the globe, there always a chance of whalesharks around Phi Phi, Thailand in September/October time.

I've been diving in Palau in Sept and it has been fine. It rains almost every day in this part of the world. If you want to see big things Palau is the place. As for myself to dive off the beaten path I like going to the PI it nice and cheap and I don't see many Americans there.

Dale Still on a little Rock in the Pacific

It's not live-aboard but if you want big stuff, off the beaten track try Tofo, Mozambique. We dove southern Mozambique and heard great things about this area. Also Zanzibar (sp?) people raved about. If we lived in the UK this is were we would be going.

How about a liveaboard tooling around Socorro? I've never been, but its well off the beaten path, and friends have told me that there is no better location for bigun's. Its about 300 miles south-soutwest of the tip of the baja peninsula.

How about a liveaboard tooling around Socorro? I've never been, but its well off the beaten path, and friends have told me that there is no better location for bigun's. Its about 300 miles south-soutwest of the tip of the baja peninsula.

Socorros is indeed a great dive destination for big stuff but the liveaboards that dive this area do not go out there until October, and like Galapagos, they're all booked up by now, unless there is a cancellation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom