Researching a diving destination...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Orans

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What kind of info are you looking for on :sblogo:
  • A list of available buddies?
  • A list of dive sites with reviews, maps and pictures?
  • Safety information?
    Local recompression chambers, emergency numbers etc.
  • A list of dive shops/fill stations for gear rentals/(enriched) air fills?
  • A list of available dive boats/liveaboards?
  • Diver-friendly hotels/campgrounds, conveniently located?
So, do tell, what are you looking for when researching a dive destination?

Local club's,just to hook up with.

some of all of that....

~ I am married to my dive buddy so I just need to check available time off for both of us.

~ I really like other people's dive reports - reading those give me a way to evaluate if that destination is something we would like or not. That is the #1 thing I like about SB.

~ photos - I want to see a place before I go there, topside and underwater. That is the #2 thing I look for on SB.

~ lists of dive ops and resorts, with websites is nice, so I can start my research. SB is a great place to start my searches, but it doesn't sell me on any destination. I do lots of research before I commit to any place.

robin:D

Reviews by divers of locations visited and the dive ops, if any, they went with. I put a lot of stock in what ScubaBoarders write. Given that it is internet chatter and that some people have strange ideas about what is good or bad, I particularly like reviews lengthy enough to give me some idea about the writer and the writer's needs/goals/experience, as well as about the destination. The more info the better.

Reviews by divers of locations visited and the dive ops, if any, they went with. I put a lot of stock in what ScubaBoarders write. Given that it is internet chatter and that some people have strange ideas about what is good or bad, I particularly like reviews lengthy enough to give me some idea about the writer and the writer's needs/goals/experience, as well as about the destination. The more info the better.
Those are good indications on customer satisfaction, sure. Sometimes I wonder if I must be the class pansy about safety as I have always wanted to know about available chambers and EMS support in case caca hits the fan, but I don't see that concern in others much? Or maybe I miss it in others. I do email potential operators now asking about their quarterly air tests, and compressor equipment.

Good list, other than available buddies. If I can't dive with my regular buddy, I presume I'll really be on my own for safety as well as responsible for for whomever I end up diving with. At least I know my home buds weak points and I have a hard promise to his elderly mom to keep us both safe.

It might be nice to have a line or two about safety/proceedural concerns for the dive op. Comments can be either positive or negative.

Art

Boy, I've used all kinds of information from SB about destinations. Surface transportation; locations, types and prices of lodging; location, type and prices of restaurants; dive operators (with an emphasis on what type of diver they tailor their services to, what kind of boats and tanks, etc.). I enjoy reading reports about the sites and the types and quantity of sea life that are found there, especially with photographs. I've occasionally identified divers who seem kind of like me in approach, and specifically PM'd them for a more personalized opinion on where to go or who to use.

I get a couple emails a week from people who have read our trip reports, the most common questions are:

1. Best time of year to go?
2. What are the major attractions of diving? Sharks? Corals? Muck? etc...
3. Does the operation know how to work with photographers?
4. How many divers to guide?
5. How many dives per day?
6. How is the equipment? This can cover a lot of area from the condition of the skiffs to rental equipment?
7. Do they cap bottom time?
8. What are diving conditions like? Drift? Surge? Depths?
9. Then there are a lot of questions about accommodations regardless if it is a live-aboard or land op. In general they are trying to find out "how many stars" is the location.

Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom