Honeymoon destination advice (May 09) from NYC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Where is a good place to dive in May of 09?
Looking for luxury and adventure on a budget (food, diving, accommodations less than $2,500 if possible).
Flying from NYC (frequent flyer miles)

We have dove already in Florida, Curacao and Honduras.

Looking for something besides a wall dive.

Trying to book this far in advance is difficult since most specials don't extend that far.

Please help. We were going to Nevis, but I started doing some research on the diving and found unfavorable reviews.

thanks!
Susan

Where is a good place to dive in May of 09?
Looking for luxury and adventure on a budget (food, diving, accommodations less than $2,500 if possible).
Flying from NYC (frequent flyer miles)

We have dove already in Florida, Curacao and Honduras.

Looking for something besides a wall dive.

Trying to book this far in advance is difficult since most specials don't extend that far.

Please help. We were going to Nevis, but I started doing some research on the diving and found unfavorable reviews.

thanks!
Susan

okay, you want luxury but don't want to pay for it? Don't we all!
You don't want all walls but you do want adventure.
I would look into Fiji if you can spend a few $$ more to get from NYC to LAX. There are great deals on: Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations and Island Dreams Travel scuba diving vacations, cozumel scuba diving, dive travel, dive resorts, diving trips and they would fit your bill. See the Fiji Resorts and Diving Packages for Divers.
Beqa Lagoon and Wanavu resorts would be great honeymoon spots for you.

anothere area would be Riviera Maya - Playa del Carmen coast of Mexico. Lots of big fancy resorts, adventure tours to the Mayan Ruins etc. Riviera Maya Resorts and Diving Packages for Divers.

Belize has lots of adventure and diving, but I am not sure if you would consider the resorts there luxury. Check them out on Caribbean Dive Island Vacations at Bay Adventures and also Caradonna's website (given earlier).

robin:D

Food/diving/accomodations less than $2500, per person, per week, I assume? If so, Dominica might work. Airfare will cost more but on FF miles you might get there - American Eagle flies in from San Juan, PR.

Or for that matter, why not Puerto Rico itself? The Desecho island diving (off the west coast) is supposed to be superb, and run about $100 / day / person for 2 dives. That might have to go up like everything though given fuel costs. Plus Puerto Rico gives the opportunity for lots of other stuff than diving - bioluminescent bay snorkeling, the rainforest and karst caverns, Arecibo (if you are, or are marrying, a geek :) ) shopping and dining in Old San Juan, the forts of Old San Juan, etc.

You might work things backwards, since you're using FF miles: find out where the miles will take you, and go from there. For all I know you've got the miles to get to Egypt and dive the Red Sea (also reportedly very affordable, once you're there).

Back
Top Bottom