Remote, submerged diving in Pacific

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessep

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of really remote spots - reefs, seamounts, etc. Looking to make a voyage to somewhere like this by sailboat. By "remote", I mean spots that are without human populations or completely submerged. Thanks in advance and anchors away!!

Welcome to the board, if you have any familiar knowledge of PNG (Papau New Guinea) you would know there are plenty of uninhabited areas that have remote reefs, even the charts off New Britain are not always correct. I'm not sure you would want to tackle sailing in a remote area like this, take a test trip on Star Dancer or Febrina, or even land base yourself out of Walindi near Hoskins. You'll be amazed at how secluded you feel, how small you are on an ocean, how quiet is quiet, how many stars you can see at night, and how beautiful the reefs.....if you would know where to go.
File0354.jpg

File0340.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

There is a spot about 100 mi (I think) off the coast of southern California that has been surfed. I read an article about the surfing some time back. It only can be done when the conditions are just right. Huge swells come out of the Pacific and persist for a mile or more. I heard that each surfer is accompanied by someone on waverunner so the surfer doesn't get lost. Anyway, the ocean is sufficiently shallow at that point that, under certain circumstances, the swells can occur. In other words, it's almost certainly within recreational dive depth limits. I have never heard of anyone diving out there. drbill (here on ScubaBoard) might know. If you go, please let us know what you find!

There is a spot about 100 mi (I think) off the coast of southern California that has been surfed. I read an article about the surfing some time back. It only can be done when the conditions are just right. Huge swells come out of the Pacific and persist for a mile or more. I heard that each surfer is accompanied by someone on waverunner so the surfer doesn't get lost. Anyway, the ocean is sufficiently shallow at that point that, under certain circumstances, the swells can occur. In other words, it's almost certainly within recreational dive depth limits. I have never heard of anyone diving out there. drbill (here on ScubaBoard) might know. If you go, please let us know what you find!
Probably this one (Tanner and Cortes Banks). . .

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of really remote spots - reefs, seamounts, etc. Looking to make a voyage to somewhere like this by sailboat. By "remote", I mean spots that are without human populations or completely submerged. Thanks in advance and anchors away!!
Tubbataha Reefs, in the Philippine Sulu Sea. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom