I'm going crazy looking for a place to go to

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craracer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been searching for a place for my wife and I to go to in September (our 2 year anniversary) and I'm going nuts.

This is my criteria: 4-5 star, all-inclusive, not more than 300 rooms, more than 2 dives/day, on the beach, prefer the dive shop to be at the resort but not set in stone, great food, relatively quiet, preferably no kids.

Not to: Jamaica or Mexico.

To give you an idea of where I've stayed at: Rui Palace/Riu Tequila, and Riu Playacar (Playa del Carmen, Mexico), Riu ClubHotel and Riu Tropical Bay, Couples Swept Away, and Point Village (a dump) (Negril, Jamaica), Occidental Grand (Cozumel).

Some of the places I've been looking at: Roatan, Curacao, Turks & Caicos, and Bonaire.

You just described Brac Reef Resort in Cayman Brac. Rooms are not 5 Star, but the overall experience was one of the best, and second only to a recent liveaboard we took.

Good luck!

Thanks! I'll look it up.

I forgot to mention....Brac Reef Resort is rather isolated from the rest of Cayman Brac, so you really have to enjoy quietness, very limited shopping, and a very low-key atmosphere. It's also important to know that the crime rate is almost non-existent on the island, so you see people out walking by themselves in the middle of the night.

There is some type of entertainment at the bar/restaurant almost every night, and you can swim with the tarpon and see eagle rays at night around the pier. All we did for a week was eat (wonderful food), drink, dive, snorkel and sleep. Our only extra expenses were tips and alcoholic beverages, so we mixed our own drinks in our rooms before going "out" (to the other side of the resort)!

Pacific Palau Resort and dive with Sam's.

Bali for easier diving...many lux places to stay

two places we really love

closer...BVI best food and boutiques, The Rhone and the whole Peter's Island scene is wonderful

Realdiver: Thanks for the info. I'm reading about the place right now.

Thanks Catherine! I'm looking those up as well.

1) The Star Rating System has no actual parameters and varies by personal taste and style. What might separate two otherwise identical properties in the Michelin rating system might be- because in one property, you must leave the check in desk lobby and travel outside to your room. A big difference? It cost a star.

Four and Five Star... what might that mean?

Nightly turn down service, concierge, room service, wireless high speed interent in room, several varied entrees on a daily changing menu, laundry service, salon spa services, tv/cable, bathrobe, shampoo, slippers, cotton balls, umbrella, safe, mini bar, designer bottled waters, daily newspapers delivered, number of restauarants (in a 200 room hotel there should be two or more), 2 bars (executive or concierge lounge), mp3 player in room, stereo, hydro bath. Staff to guest ratio should be 2:1 in a 5*

For a 4*, look at $500/day and 5* look at $1000/day, food extra.

2) By any standard, you may now scratch Roatan off of your list.

3) The better the quality of available lodging is inversely proportional to the objective quality of diving. The rare exceptions to this rule are when a property owns the island 99.9%. Development mucks things up, figuratively and literally.

Your post infers a Caribbean destination of luxurious character. You also mention wanting a place that would draw you to want to dive 2+ times a day. You want a beach.

craracer:
I've been searching for a place for my wife and I to go to in September (our 2 year anniversary) and I'm going nuts.

The reason you're going nuts is that the place doesn't exist. Not in the Caribbean.

Big dollar service with ho-hum diving: http://www.beyc.com/index.php/Diving.html, http://www.peterisland.com/

Well, that explains my dilemma.

I understand that the star system is quite subjective. What I'm trying to express is my desire to stay at a relatively luxurious resort that has great diving.

I thought the RIU Palace and Occidental Grand were exceptional resorts. The diving was pretty good as well (but then again, I've only dove in Mexico and Jamaica so I can't exactly compare diving).

Say, that sailing resort looks pretty neat but, unfortunately
Please note: the resort is on hiatus from July 28 to October 5, 2008, so that staff can travel and create their own adventures!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom