Need Input!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwelch_81

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
OK, I am sure there are similar post on this board and I read a few but none that matched my question exactly.

My wife and I are going to plan a trip for next year. We have some time but we figure we better start working on some of the planing now. My wife is not a diver (yet) and we have never been outside the U.S. We would like to go somewhere exotic, beautiful, and romantic. I hope to get her cert. soon. but if she doesn't want to that is fine. We would like to stay 7days. If I'm going to go on a trip like this the diving has to be great I like others would like to make more than two dives a day, long bottom times, lots to see lots of life. The place has to have plenty of stuff for my wife to stay entertained and stuff for us to do together. I would like to spend a few days with her seeing the sites then a few days diving then few days relaxing. We dint need 4 or 5 star service just something nice relaxing and comfortable.

Dive quality and friendly people are a must. I want her to walk away loving diving and if she doesn't go diving I want her to have a great time.

Anyone know a place like this?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
OK, I am sure there are similar post on this board and I read a few but none that matched my question exactly.... My wife is not a diver (yet).... I hope to get her cert. soon. but if she doesn't want to that is fine.... The place has to have plenty of stuff for my wife to stay entertained and stuff for us to do together. I would like to spend a few days with her seeing the sites then a few days diving then few days relaxing.

I would get her certified and see if she wants to be a diver. Until you do that, I agree- you won't find one that matches your question exactly.

So, okay, two days of diving, from what I read. You could likely be happy anywhere in the Caribbean. Maybe tell us where you've been and what you liked previously?

Depends on what you need to entertain her.

Shopping? Spa? Horseback riding? Visits to local schools? Nature Hikes? What?

More info needed.

OK,
Dive quality and friendly people are a must. I want her to walk away loving diving and if she doesn't go diving I don't want her to have a great time.

Anyone know a place like this?

Thanks for the input.

I would recommend similar to the first post. See if she likes diving in the first place. Personally, nothing is as much of a drag when two people travel to one destination and find they have dissimilar needs and interests.

X

Oh man i must seem like a jerk i dont know how that second don't got in there.
I want her to have a great time.

But when I ask her.
She just wants to lay on a beach. And it must have a spa!

I know exactly what I want.

So what would be your top 3 choices for diving vacation.

Last edited:
Oh man i must seem like a jerk i dont know how that second don't got in there.
I want her to have a great time.

But when I ask her.
She just wants to lay on a beach. And it must have a spa!

I know exactly what I want.

So what would be your top 3 choices for diving vacation.

Well if it has to have a beach and a spa you have just cut down your options by about 90%.
So let's see, you want:
More than 2 dives per day
good diving, long bottom times, with friendly people
Must have spa and beach
Exotic
Topside activities for non-diver

I can't think of a single place that meets all of those. Maybe check out Cayman Brac or Little Cayman (not much to do topside but they do have a spa). Cocoview Roatan might be another good option as it is more exotic but no real beach.
Caribbean Resort | Caribbean Hotel | Cayman Island Vacation at Brac Reef Resort.
Little Cayman Resorts, Cayman Islands, Caribbean
Welcome to CoCo View Resort

might be okay to go to Turks & Caicos but it certainly isn't exotic. I think there is a Beaches resort there with a spa. Places like Fiji are totally exotic but getting more than 2 dives per day isn't the norm for most land-based dive ops. Check out:
Wananavu Beach Resort Accommodation Fiji
Beqa Lagoon Resort (Marlin Bay) - homepage

Have you considered Hawaii? Maui and Kona would have the exotic and yet still modern thing, lots of topside activities, etc. Actually, looking back over your requests, Hawaii meets all your requirements. A good idea would be to get the books "Maui Revealed" or "Big Island Revealed" at your local bookstore. They can give you reviews and info on every resort, topside activities, pictures, etc. Hawaii isn't cheap but you can get in some good diving and fantastic topside stuff.

hope this gives you some ideas.

robin:D

For the diving I would suggest Little Cayman Beach Resort - some of the best diving available on this side of the world, easy to get to, very professional boat and dive crews, excellent food. I would only go there, however, if your wife is certified as there is very little else to do on the island. Little Cayman for me is one of the most beautiful places I have been, and is very relaxing.

I can't help but wonder why no one says Cozumel. Is it because the diving isn't that great there?
What about Bonaire? I also agree from what I can tell Little Cayman would be a nice place to go.
I think my wife would like Cozumel the most. I think I would like Bonaire the diving looks real good on videos an pics I have seen but dosnt look like there is much else to do there. I'm going to look at some more stuff on Little Cayman.

I can't help but wonder why no one says Cozumel. Is it because the diving isn't that great there?
What about Bonaire? I also agree from what I can tell Little Cayman would be a nice place to go.
I think my wife would like Cozumel the most. I think I would like Bonaire the diving looks real good on videos an pics I have seen but dosnt look like there is much else to do there. I'm going to look at some more stuff on Little Cayman.

That would be my recommendation. Me and my non-diving wife and kids just had a great two weeks there. Awesome drift diving and a great place for the non diver to visit. You can't go wrong here. Research individual resorts on tripadvisor.com. We were at Cozumel Palace and loved it.

See if she will do a resort dive. Mine did. Good luck.....

An All-Inclusive resort is probably your best bet. This way, you can go on a boat and your wife can relax on the bar. However, if she wants to get wet, she can take a resort course there. The Yucatan Peninsula has some good diving (both fresh and salt water). I would stay in one of the many all-inclusive’s they have down there between Playa del Carmen and Tulum. Personally, I would avoid Cancun – to busy for my taste.
Another possibility would be the island St. Lucia. Both the diving and landscape are interesting. They have several Sandals Resorts on the island, and while they are expensive, scuba diving is included in the price (so, no extra charge for gear, gas, and the like). I would stay at the smaller Sandals (called Halcyon, but you will not get Halcyon gear there). They have shuttle buses running frequently from one Sandals to the next, so you can play a round of Golf as well, if you like, and use all the facilities in all hotels.
If you stay flexible on the location and look for “Last Minute”, perhaps you can get a package deal including hotel for the price of a regular flight.

Good luck!

Wow thanks for all the info guys.

Nether of us are experienced travelers and really had no idea what was all out there.
I must say Hawaii would be a good choice for the fact we are not going outside the US. We are getting passports but will be safe for a first trip in case we loose our stuff. We have never been on a plane.

I must admit St. Lucia looks really nice along with Little Cayman. We were looking for a little something more private than Cancun. When we started looking we really only knew of the relay hot vacation spots not really for divers but spring break type stuff Jamaica, Cancun, etc.

Thanks so much guys I probably would have never found these places on my own or would have just looked over them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom