Reef Hooks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vikingcues

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went to Fiji last year and some divers had reef hooks, am going to the Maldives soon, will I need one there ? Where then do you get them, average cost, any tips on what to look for?

Ill advised in the Maldives.

They are designed for "hooking in" on lava bottom or theoretically dead chunks of coral reef so that you might flutter in the current much as a kite on a string, allowing the observation of pellagics who are known to swim by. Sometimes, instead of attempting to use the "dead chunks" explanation, people will say that the pointed end is small and therefore limits damage in that way.

The Maldives will really present no such need. As is the case when most of these devices are used worldwide, simply ducking down and below into the coral heads, finding a "backwash pocket" where the current is all but still- you get the same view of your surroundings.

Maldives never presented that kind of current, nothing I ever felt the need to stop and watch it as it worked the currents, certainly not where I couldn't just utilize the effects of current blocking underwater geography.

An un-needed crutch there as it is in most places. See also the infamous "muck stick" (aka the reef skewer).

When I was in the Maldives the currents on many of our dives ranged from strong to insane - much stronger than when we were in Palau, just luck of the draw. There were a number of times I wished I had a reef hook, it would have been perfect. We spent a lot of time hanging onto dead coral on some sites watching the show where there was no suitable lee to hide in. Whether you will experience similar locations and conditions, no idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom