Newbie looking for suggestions for August family trip - Diving plus other activities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fun4all4

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have lurked here occasionally, but this is my first post. My husband and I along with our 2 sons (ages 16 and 19) are interested in a vacation for August. We are all certified divers, but 3 of the 4 of us are novices - thus, looking for warm, clear, easy dives where we can see a lot without too much difficulty. In addition, while we will likely do 2-3 days of diving (and a couple may do more), we are interested in a vacation with other activity options as well - don't want a "just dive" spot. We love good food and wine, hiking, nice beach, and general fun and exploration. I prefer moderate to upscale accommodations - it doesn't have to be ultra-deluxe, but I do like nice.

In some combination, we have have done some diving and/or snorkeling in Islamorada, Bonaire, Belize (Ambergris), Santorini, and the BVI's. I have also been to Grand Cayman and Cozumel/Riviera Maya area. I am willing to consider the Keys or Caribbean or Mexico again, but would also like to consider some other options, especially as August falls within Hurricane season there. Maybe Caymans? Maybe Turks and Caicos? Others?
We love to travel and explore and we like to visit new places. I think something super exotic will be outside of our time and budget (like Indonesia/Malaysia/Maldives....), but we are open to all ideas. We have never been to Hawaii and thought that might be a good option, BUT I don't know anything about diving there. What island(s) do you all suggest for great family diving? Is Hawaii a good choice?

We fly out of the DC area (Dulles 1st choice but also Reagan or BWI possible).

I hope that is enough info to guide you in making some suggestions for both destination and possibly accommodation and/or outfitter. Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide! :)

IMO, head to Dominica, you WILL NOT regret it, diving 2nd to NONE & topside activities ABSOLUTELY the best(waterfalls, hiking, rainforests, EASY shore diving, whale watching etc etc)---ALTHOUGH, any place in the Caribbean(& Fl for that matter) is a crap shoot due to weather ie hurricanes/organized tropical storms that time of the year....much safer to go pre-July or post-Sept if your plans can handle it.........

Good luck wherever/whenever you go....click my below link for all our Dominica pics(topside & UW)--Dominica albums have Dominica in their album titles listed on the left side of the page....BTW, we stayed @ Castle Comfort Lodge & I HIGHLY recommend it---it's sort of National Geographic trip, literally, heck getting from the airport to the Lodge is an adventure in itself, takes almost 2 hours to go about 20 miles, uuuup & doooown hills & mountains thru rain forests on a 2 lane road that is only 1 lane wide(lol...get the picture......)

Pictures by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

Hi everyone,

I have lurked here occasionally, but this is my first post. My husband and I along with our 2 sons (ages 16 and 19) are interested in a vacation for August. We are all certified divers, but 3 of the 4 of us are novices - thus, looking for warm, clear, easy dives where we can see a lot without too much difficulty. In addition, while we will likely do 2-3 days of diving (and a couple may do more), we are interested in a vacation with other activity options as well - don't want a "just dive" spot. We love good food and wine, hiking, nice beach, and general fun and exploration. I prefer moderate to upscale accommodations - it doesn't have to be ultra-deluxe, but I do like nice.

In some combination, we have have done some diving and/or snorkeling in Islamorada, Bonaire, Belize (Ambergris), Santorini, and the BVI's. I have also been to Grand Cayman and Cozumel/Riviera Maya area. I am willing to consider the Keys or Caribbean or Mexico again, but would also like to consider some other options, especially as August falls within Hurricane season there. Maybe Caymans? Maybe Turks and Caicos? Others?
We love to travel and explore and we like to visit new places. I think something super exotic will be outside of our time and budget (like Indonesia/Malaysia/Maldives....), but we are open to all ideas. We have never been to Hawaii and thought that might be a good option, BUT I don't know anything about diving there. What island(s) do you all suggest for great family diving? Is Hawaii a good choice?

We fly out of the DC area (Dulles 1st choice but also Reagan or BWI possible).

I hope that is enough info to guide you in making some suggestions for both destination and possibly accommodation and/or outfitter. Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide! :)

Hawaii is probably a good idea, considering you have 2 teens with you. There are lots of topside activities and also the accomodations will be to your liking. The best way to do it is get a condo with kitchen and cook some meals yourself as food is expensive there.
check out Maui and Kona both. Kona has the night manta dives which everyone would enjoy, too. Plus Kona has Volcano National Park which is amazing! There are also many waterfalls and topside activities for everyone.
Scuba Dive Lanai, Molokini, Molokai, and Maui
Jack's Diving Locker : Snorkel and Scuba Dive Shop in Kona, on the Big Island of Hawaii"
August is a good time to go to Hawaii, no hurricane issues at all.

Another choice you might want to consider is Ambergris Caye, Belize. They have diving there plus lots of topside activities like jungle ziplines, river tours, jungle tours, Mayan ruin tours, which the teens would probably enjoy.
look at: Ramon's Village, Belize Resort, Belize Resorts, Resorts in Belize, Ambergris Caye
Belize Vacations, Tours, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Maps, Real Estate

the least expensive choice is Cozumel. There are lots of all-inclusive packages you can get (thinking about how much teenagers eat, this might be a good bet).
look here at packages:
Cozumel vacation, Mexico resort hotel rates - Bay Adventures
You wouldn't like VillaBlanca or Barracuda (very low end accomodations).
There are lots of topside activities from Cozumel over to mainland that are worthwhile. Just be sure to stick with the bottled water.

Grand Cayman is very touristy, if that is what you are looking for. I have heard that Turks and Caicos doesn't have much to do topside when not diving. Bonaire is fabulous diving but if you are only planning to dive a few days, you might get really bored there as there isn't much else but diving. Ditto the Florida Keys - not much else to do.

robin:D

Thanks Everyone! Great stuff. I guess my main worry re:Caribbean is weather. Unfortunately, with school/college, summer jobs and programs, mid-August is our only window for a family trip this year. I know there are never any weather guarantees, but August in the Caribbean makes me kinda nervous. That said, it is not off the table...just considering other options.

greylion - didn't know about the shallow wreck diving in Bermuda. Definitely worth considering at some point. very cool

diver85 - Dominica looks awesome, and your photos are amazing! Thanks for sharing. Your topside photos remind a little of mine from Grenada, especially the foliage and rocky pools. (Sorry about LSU yesterday)

Deputy Dan - I appreciate the link to the other report. Manta diving would be incredible. It seems like some combo of Kona/Big Island and Maui would be best if we choose Hawaii.

robint- Wow, tons of great advice. We are on the same page for sure as many of your ideas and suggestions are either ones I am considering or places we've already been. For example, we were in Belize and spent time in both Cayo district (Chaa Creek) for river tubing, Tikal and other Mayan sights, rain forest hiking and more. Then we moved onto AC for 4 nights at Victoria House where we dove and chilled. Great trip for everyone! That is exactly the type of trip we like, a great variety of active stuff.

We really liked Islamorada, but definitely a more laid back trip - not sure it is right for this trip, but we would go back (especially since we have family in south Florida - we can do a few days of visiting and then spend a few days in the Keys as an easy mini-trip).

Coz is definitely on my list. I was in Grand Cayman with a friend a few weeks ago (did not dive) and though touristy along 7MB and near the cruise port, it did seem like it would be good with older teens as there were lots of activity and dining options. There also seem to be some less touristy dive areas - from this site I found there is Cobalt Coast, only about 10-15 mins from 7MB, but a world away (I taxied up to take a peek). The Reef on the far eastern end of the island also looks great if looking for less touristy on GC. So, we are still considering GC (rest of family hasn't been), but I am still not sure on the weather and August timing.

It does seem like Hawaii may be an excellent (though bigger) undertaking. The suggestions and links help - it seems like Kona and Maui would be where to focus our search. Any other non-Caribbean suggestions as I seem to have a number of great choices in Caribbean, and I'm still not sure about commiting there due to time of year?

Thanks to all and Happy New Year.

I have done the "Belize trip also" and it is a great trip. Hawaii would be along the same lines and is not as big a deal as you may think. The only issue is getting there. From North Carolina to the big island was 14.5 hours for us.

One thing to note - we did Kona and Oahu (for the WWII stuff) and rented a condo on both islands. We did not know that they don't come with A/C. It was very hot when we were there and it was not pleasant. Don't make that mistake!

Our flghts were fine. RDU-Phoenix-Hawaii

It's a pity your on a budget... down here in New Zealand (below Australia) the diving is superb. Especially at the Poor Knights Marine Reserve, or diving one of our many wrecks.... all good dives for novices :)

Have a good trip when you go!

If you would like to consider Indonesia,

I would suggest two places as there will be four of you travelling:

Bali
It has it all: good restaurants, cultural tour, daily cruise trips, adventurous activities (from white water rafting to helicopter ride :))

Especially you only plan to do 2-5 days of diving and want to do more activities that can be done as a family. Because of the competition among the accommodation really high here, you may get good accommodation with AC, Swimming Pool, & even spa starting from USD 60/room/night. But as you plan to come on August, please be aware of Peak season surcharge that apply by all hotel. The high/peak season surcharge is approximately

2nd Suggestion: Santika Hotel in Manado, North Sulawesi
4* hotel located on the main land facing Bunaken Island, with its dive operator that consider one of the best in the area. Although it is a 4* hotel, it has a fair price though.

Unlimited access for snorkeling, and on your non diving days you & your family can do land tour, trekking, shopping, white water rafting, rain forest exploration to meet the world's smallest monkey Tarsius.

P.M me if you are listing Indonesia as your next diving destination.

Happy New Year to you too & Cheers,

Another Caribbean destination you may want to look into is San Andres Island good diving with plenty "tourist things" to do for the family. Plenty of mid to up scale hotels on the island. The best part is they are out of the hurricane belt.
Ciao
Tad:eek:k:

Back
Top Bottom