looking for shore diving destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have any suggestions on dive destinations where there is a number of good shore diving spots. I am familiar with Bonaire and am looking for other locations that are similar.

Unfortunately, if you are already familiar with Bonaire, you're not likely to be very impressed with other shore diving destinations.
There are nice sites in the Bay Islands, Belize, the Mayan Riviera; several among the smaller Bahamas; I know of a few in the PI, a few more in Hawaii and Guam... but for overall quantity and quality nearly every day of the year, I don't think you can beat Bonaire.
Rick

St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands has two unbelievable shore dive sites: cane bay and north star: cane bay has a ten min: 100yd. top swim out and north sat has a 50 yd. top swim out.

Thanks for the reply Socrates and welcome to the board.
May I suggest you look at the dates of the post, I started this post almost 5 years ago. I was suprised to see my name of the originator of the post until I realized it was that old. Guess that's the price I pay for hanging around this board so long. :)
Again, welcome to the board

So where'd you end up going Herman? Maybe there's a trip report from 4 1/2 years ago I can dig up.

I did finally go to Curaco this July but so far I have not found any place (this side of the world) that has shore diving worth trying except Bonaire and Curacao. There are a few places that have a few sites but not enought to make me want to go there. The main reason for the question was I have a couple of dive/travel buddies who are very prone to seasickness so shore diving is a must. We had done Bonaire several years in a row and were looking to see if we could find some place similar. Curacao turned out to be pretty good but we still prefered Bonaire, mainly due to smaller size of Bonaire. Other than Curacao, no place really compairs to Bonaire for the amount and quality of the shore dives. I am still open to suggestions.

i am heading to Bonaire in Feb '06. Staying at buddy dive . any recommendations resturants day trips etc

I love the shore diving on the Big Island. I spent two weeks diving there every day in May and only got on a boat twice.

Never been to Bonaire, though, so I can't compare.

Welcome to the board TJ.

The only suggestion for a day trip I have is the National Park and to be honest I don't care too much for it. There are some really pretty shore lines in the park but the hours of driving on the rough dirt roads in the park make the trip not worth it to me, I know others love the place. If you want a little different diving experience, check out Larry's Wildside diving. Larry runs a 20+ft inflatable on the windward side of the island. I have yet to go out with him but from everything I hear, it's well worth doing. Another one I have got to try is a "try rebreather" dive offered by Walt at Rec Tec. Kind of a resort coarse on rebreathers.
I do like driving through Rincon, over to the windward side and to Lac Bay on my surface day before flying home.
As for restaurants, pick one. Bonaire has more good places to eat per square mile than any place I have been. For a very short list of some of my favorites in no particular order:
City Cafe- lunch, one of the 2 best burgers I know of anywhere
Bobbie Jans- dinner on weekends only- ribs, chicken and steaks off the grill
Donna and Georgieos- Italian dishes
Pasa Bon Pizza- pizza and calzones
Rib factory- ribs and more
Rum Runners (at Capt Dons)- local and american food, also good pizza from what I hear
Casa Blanca- beef, pork and chicken off a charcoal grill, the mixed grill for 2 is HUGE-if you get this go early in the week as you will have a lot of leftovers
The restaurant an Buddys is usually been pretty good as well.

There are a lot of other places and everyone has their favorites. So far I have not found a bad place on the island. If you have not already, do a search here on Bonaire, others and myself have posted a lot of good hints over the years. Also, join us on the Bonaire board, any question you have about Bonaire can he answered there.
www.bonairetalk.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom