Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Plastic wrapping luggage at airports?

Registered

certified airhog

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos

Plastic wrapping luggage at airports?

We just got back from our trip to Old Providence Island, and will be posting an exhaustive report on the South America forum very soon, but I noticed something on this trip that I haven't seen before. First, in the San Andres airport I noticed several guys in yellow shirts with rolls of plastic stretch wrapping film standing around at the ticketing area, and for a small fee they would completely mummify your luggage with plastic film, leaving small holes for the grip handles and for the drag wheels. Interesting. Then, the Copa airline clerk proceeded to fasten all the zippers on my bags with zip ties and then encase the luggage in big Copa-imprinted plastic bags (I had not bit on the mummy wraps, as I wasn't sure what was going on..). She said it would speed the bags through Panamanian security. Also interesting. And you know?- All of those ties and plastic bags were still in place when I got the bags back at Miami. I had stopped using any kind of zipper locks years ago, as TSA usually would just cut them off. The bags had been searched before they were sealed up, but this rather effectively stopped anyone from messing with the bags after they disappeared into the bag handling system. I thought this was maybe a foreign airport phenomenon, but then when I got to Miami I saw several stations near the check-in counters where you could plastic wrap your bags also. Is this a new wrinkle in luggage security? And has anyone else encountered this kind of thing? Woody
    "Never complain about growing old and weak-'tis a privilege denied to many...." Mark Twain

Remember when safe sex meant having a padded headboard?

"Never tell anybody to go to Hell, unless you have the ability to make them." Bill Clinton

Registered

status quo

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Yes, I saw this for the first time at the airport in Bali last week. I didn't see the point, but I might if I were flying through Miami.

Doc
    Was RoatanMan

Paint what you feel

Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year with 140# of dive gear. And now, for a running total of Water-logged
    Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Plastic baggage wrap done in airports......

It is a service that is re-done by the same service later if your bags must be opened by "TSA", downstream while in the outbound process from that airport.

Next bag check, repeat.
    Doc Adelman PADI way before there was numbers
    ​............This is weird -> u/w micro pix .......................
    SeaDrops Plutonium: Refined from glistening beads of perspiration gently blotted from the downy
    naked inner thighs of our private stable of free-range virginSwedish Divemistresses.
    ..........................................(Demand it at your SCUBA retailer and pay the highest price~ this alone ensures it's better mask defogger than toothpaste)