What does it mean when a shore excursion says two tank dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smurf doc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going on a cruise with my parents and looking at shore excursions. Some of the scuba ones say "two tank dive." Does that mean you wear tanks connected to each other, or simply that you do two dives? When I click "Full details" it doesn't really explain.

I could always call and ask, but figured someone on here might know if this a common term.

The website I'm looking on is called shoreexcursionsgroup.com

The cruise goes to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Georgetwon in Grand Caymans.

The website mentions a two tank dive of Barrier Reef as an option in Belize. and another two tank dive in Roatan.

I'm a new PADI certified diver. I just want to make sure I don't sign up for something over my head.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

It means that you're going to be doing two separate dives, so you'll use two tanks. It may be at the same site, or a different site.

One thing to be sure and check is whether or not a two tank dive will allow you to return to the ship in time. If in doubt, use a cruise approved operator. If you find one on your own and you run late, you may find yourself left behind.

Also, be sure to let them know your certification and comfort level so they can put you on an appropriate dive. Remember you are responsible for yourself and don't expect a DM or someone else to lead or take care of you during the dives. Be responsible for your own planning! This is a common issue among new divers.

Two ONE tank dives. Usually both Aluminium 80 tanks.

I'm going on a cruise with my parents and looking at shore excursions. Some of the scuba ones say "two tank dive." Does that mean you wear tanks connected to each other, or simply that you do two dives? When I click "Full details" it doesn't really explain.

I could always call and ask, but figured someone on here might know if this a common term.

The website I'm looking on is called shoreexcursionsgroup.com

The cruise goes to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Georgetwon in Grand Caymans.

The website mentions a two tank dive of Barrier Reef as an option in Belize. and another two tank dive in Roatan.

I'm a new PADI certified diver. I just want to make sure I don't sign up for something over my head.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

A "two tank dive" means two dives, with a surface interval and a tank change between.

Some other options to consider:

On Roatan, the cruise dive operator is almost certainly Anthony's Key Resort. AKR is on the north side so will shuttle you both ways. Other diveops with cruise programs include Barefoot Divers and Subway Watersports. Barefoot is the closest (on the south side where the ports are) unless Subway picks you up at the cruise pier. AKR will segregate cruise divers from their resort guests so you'll have a boat to yourselves. Barefoot only takes 6-8 divers max per boat.

On Belize I believe Hugh Parkeys is the cruise operator for some (all?) ships. They'll pick you up at the ship - saving time while everyone else is tendered in to Belize City.

On Cayman the two cruise operators are either Don Fosters (a block south of the cruise pier) or Red Sail Watersports. Another option is Lobster Pot Dive Center - they have a cruise program and book several different operators.

Unless things have changed very recently, you'll be tendered in to Georgetown also - your ship is out in the harbor. Fosters/Red Sail have bigger boats. Red Sail also uses AL72 tanks to limit bottom time. The operators booked thru Lobster Pot are all smaller operations that limit divers to around 8 per boat or less.

Depends on what sort of experience you're looking for...

Even though it's shoreexcursionsgroup.com - all your dives will be from a boat. And probably fairly shallow as they have to work for the least certified among the group. Which may be you..lol.

It does sounds like this excursion is through your cruise - so they will get you back in time. But double check this.

The two tank dive will give you enough surface interval time in between dives to to off-gas & re-hydrate, even get some sweetened tea, and then back in the water. It's amazing how many dives (tanks) you can get in one day, if you time it right.

The only way to guarantee making the ship after the excursion is to book through the cruise company. This sounds like a seperate company not affiliated with the ship.

When you book through the cruise, the ship will either not leave without you or will pay to have you flown to the next destination to meet the ship there. When you book on your own, there is no guarantee. If you don't show up at embarking time they leave you behind.

Thanks drdaddy and fire diver. I'll keep this in mind. This is my first time going on a cruise. I'm going with my parents (non-divers/non-swimmers). I'll talk to my parents this evening to see if they have any preferences. If not, I'll call the cruise company (Carnival) and see what they offer.

I had gone to this website because we booked through cruisesonly.com and there was a 10% discount on shore excursions booked through the shoreexcursionsgroup.com website. A 10% discount is not worth missing a cruise.

good luck, and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom