Travel Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shortdivemedic

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey scuba peeps :coffee:

I am heading in the end of september on a trip back to the states. We will be heading to Key Largo for some training and diving then on to St Croix for some more diving. Now I have never used any kind of trip insurance and just want to know if its worth it and what does it cover. I was looking at the DAN program and it really does not explain a lot.

Cheers
Michael

I usually don't buy it, but sometimes I do.... it all depends on the cost of the trip and how likely it is to get canceled for some reason.
We took a trip to Palau on a liveaboard... total cost with boat and airfare was about $8000 for 2 of us. Yes, we bought insurance. We had so many connecting flights, the change of plane issues, missing a connection, then possibly missing our boat were worth the expense. Also, if the boat had issues and canceled the trip, or if all our gear did not arrive and we had to rent gear for a week... lots of reasons in that case to buy the insurance.

Now, a shorter less complicated trip - like our trip to Cozumel coming up, we didn't buy insurance. We know that the flight is on American early am, and there is only 1 connection, but there are later flights the same day in case we have issues. Also, since it is land-based and not a liveaboard, arriving a day late (god-forbid) wouldn't be a huge deal. And ditto for delayed baggage, there are daily flights to Coz so our bags should show up. This is our 8th trip to Cozumel, and we find the whole thing pretty smooth start to finish each trip. Yeah, something could go wrong, but if it did we think we could manage it.

So buying trip insurance is purely a matter of .... if something goes wrong, how much is it going to cost and is it worth the risk?
We have not used DAN trip insurance, we have used Dive Assure and another company but the name slips my mind. DAN diving insurance is mandatory, in our opinion, the trip insurance is optional.

robin

Robin
Thanks for the info does it include the whole trip or just the diving parts . I might need to call them and talk with them for some more info

Michael

Check out Dive Assure. I just enrolled for their dive insurance and took note of their travel coverage should I ever need it.

Self-insurance is almost always less expensive that paying someone else to insure you if you can afford the loss. If you can not afford the loss then you have little choice.

Robin
Thanks for the info does it include the whole trip or just the diving parts . I might need to call them and talk with them for some more info

Michael

yes, when you register for the travel insurance, it asks you what you are covering including flight costs, hotels, rental cars, etc... and will cover all that you select. It can be for just your expenses if your trip is interrupted or it can also include medical care abroad.
look at DiveAssure Scuba Diving Insurance - The Best in Dive Accident and Dive Travel Insurance

So what do you want to cover? Just trip plans & expenses, or other? I get it mostly for medical coverage, but like my trip, luggage, and emergency evacuations covered too. I looked at Dive Assure, but I hate that I cannot check rates without completing an application - didn't finish.

Living in Saudi Arabia, DA will sell you dive insurance I think, but I think not trip insurance.

Don
I already have the dive insurance and I use my stateside address where I really live for the application I might just get it from DAN and keep peace of mind

Cheers
Michael

Don
I already have the dive insurance and I use my stateside address where I really live for the application I might just get it from DAN and keep peace of mind

Cheers
Michael
Ok that changes things. I like TravelSafe.com more than the DAN trip insurance.

Will look into it Thanks Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom