travel with weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkpix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We will be flying out to Hawaii soon, and since we are already going to have to pay for three bags total for the two of us we will have room for my wifes set of soft weights. Might have to spread them out in different bags, but should still be under weight limits. Will we have a problem if we try to take them in a carry on or should they stay in checked bags? I haven't seen an answer to this one, so if it has already been asked and answered I would still appreciate an answer.

We will be doing all shore dives on the Big Island and would like to avoid the extra charge if possible.

Thanks, BK

USPS flat rate box is your friend. $12 to ship them over, $12 to ship them back if you use the big box. That is what we did last month when we went to HI.

Flying with soft weights got TSA's attention for me flying back from Texas where I purchased a few at a good price. X- rays just show them as a grey blob and it made one of the screeners very nervous. Course I had my phone charger in there and an amorphous blob near wires was probably not smart on my part. USPS is a much better idea as Nwcid said.

Why would you need weights? I could see bringing a couple of 1 pounds since those can be in short supply but otherwise not.

Because paying to rent something you own sucks. When we went it would have cost us about $100 (2 people x $10/set x5 day) to rent weights. Cost us $24 to ship our own over and back.

I had a couple of 3-4 lb stainless steel weights in carry-on once and Security gave me a bit of a problem over it. Eventually ok, but it took a lot of time to resolve.

As for having to pay to rent weights, in some 50-odd trips, I've never encountered such.

USPS flat rate box is your friend. $12 to ship them over, $12 to ship them back if you use the big box. That is what we did last month when we went to HI.
Exactly.

As for having to pay to rent weights, in some 50-odd trips, I've never encountered such.

I am new to this and to traveling with dive gear. Where do you get free weights when shore diving on your own?

The one boat dive we did do the weight was included.

I was stopped in New Orleans with weights in my carry-on. TSA would NOT allow me to carry them on stating that I could use them as weapons. I still carry them, but in checked luggage. They inspected the weighted bags.

Back
Top Bottom