Dive holiday for a beginner & experienced diver (Indo or Philippines?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi ScubaBoard

I have read many posts on the forum but was curious to see if any individuals may have some specific advice for us.

The primary goal of our trip is for my g/f to get her Open Water. While she’s learning it would be nice if I too can enjoy some quality diving, my preference being high current pelagic action. However, I really want her to love diving as much as I do and don’t want her to jump off the deep end for her first experience so perhaps just a cool spot with lots of fishes would be best (early divers never seem to notice the macro stuff).

Our travel preferences

• Leaving Soon (June/July) thinking Indonesia or Philippines
  • Fast connections to dive destination - we only have 9 days inc 2 travel days to/from Australia. Can do direct flights to Bali or Manila.
  • Nice Accommodations – it’s our first o/s trip :) Have heard Philippines is amazing for this?
  • Cruisy nightlife – were both 30 and usually independent travelers and still enjoy a beer and a chat with strangers (Malapascua, Gili Islands?)
  • Were on a budget (boo hoo)

I’ve always had my best diving in the build/up or during monsoons so even though sun is obviously best, happy to role the dice on that one and save some $$$ as well.

Thanks for your help,

LP

Hi LP,
I cant speak for the Philippines (but am heading there in December) but Bali is a great place to dive. My partner and I have dived all around Bali on two seperate trips - Menjangan, Tulamben, Gili, Lembongan. There is lots of variety in terms of things to see and also the type of diving. We saw Mola's in Lembongan in May last year which were awesome! The nightlife is what you make of it and there are all sorts of accommodation options.

Feel free to send me a PM and I can let you know my thoughts on the dive centres and sites.

Cheers

Hi Patchy,

yeah i've dove Indo twice (Tulumben and Raja Ampat) but, while i had great dives, wasn't really that impressed compared to some other places i've been :( I'm more into big schools of pelagics and indo seemed perhaps over fished.

Have read a lot of conflicting reviews about the places you mentioned which is why i'm a bit confused. The one reason i do love bali is for all the stuff that isn't related to diving so am still partial to Bali in general. hmmm

thanks, lp

Philippines is easier and cheaper. But Indonesia is probably some of the best coral reef diving.

Where did you end up going? I didn't see this thread when it was new, or I would have recommended staying close to home, and making your trip to Byron Bay. The diving there is fabulous for fish and sharks, and was easy enough for me to manage it as a pretty new diver.

Back
Top Bottom