Dive knife when travelling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to Cuba and was wondering if there was any dive knife restriction. What are you experiences travelling with knives? Where are they restricted?

I Don't know if there any restrictions specific to traveling(flying) to Cuba, but elsewhere( Caribbean, etc.): Knives in carry-ons:NO
Knives in checked luggage: okay

Flying with a dive knife is no problem as long as it's in hold baggage.
Some locations (I'm told) don't allow dive knives on site, but that's a different problem.

Have dived internationally with the dive knife in checked baggage and had no issues whatsoever.

I have been on inter island air carriers (same country so essentially a domestic flight) where the luggage was in the main cabin (in a pile) even though it was "checked" and had no issues. It didn't occur to me to say anything and I think I won't.

I couldn't tell you about Cuba - could be whole different animal. The Greater Antilles forum has Cuba posts.

Flying with a dive knife is no problem as long as it's in hold baggage.
Some locations (I'm told) don't allow dive knives on site, but that's a different problem.

Maybe I didn't phrase well, but that is actually the question I am asking.

Internationally it varies greatly from country to country. Within the US however scissors with blades less than four inches are allowed in carry on luggage which means trauma shears are ok. A friend has also told me that they will allow the Trilobite since the razor blades require a tool to be removed however considering the prohibited list doesn't mention this and how inconsistent the TSA is I wouldn't count on it. All knives even swords are allowed in checked bags.

TSA: Prohibited Items

I carry scissors and a line cutter in Egypt (where dive knives are forbidden)

Dive knives vs. line cutters-

Pros and Cons? Seems like line cutters are the way to go for gear you carry on..

Back
Top Bottom