Travelling with gear - bar vs psi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tyger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As I will be travelling with my own gear for the first time next week, I was trying to research what to expect. I had expected the metric vs. imperial thing (And have tried to learn diving in terms of both wherever possible).

However, it didn't occur to me that, as I bought a SPG for diving in the US, it is in PSI, but I will likely be surrounded by people who have pressure in bar. Now I know the conversion factor from PSI to bar, but in the experience of people who have traveled before, will it be an issue with the dive operations, and specifically the DMs, where I will be visiting? (My future wife will be my dive buddy, with her own gear as well, so buddy won't be a concern.)

Most of the diving will be in rather touristy places to begin with, so I imagine that they will know how to handle the differences. But I just wanted to be prepared for what to expect.

It would really be helpful to know where you'll be traveling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

really it doesnt matter as long as you communicate before with insta buddies or the DM ,I have used mine all over and bounce back and forth between PSI and BAR . The main thing is you have your own buddy and she already knows. Just tell the DM so he doesnt give you that really weird look when he asks you underwater how much air you have

Cheers

It would really be helpful to know where you'll be traveling.
Australia, with stops near Cairns (The more dive-touristy of the destinations) and Sydney (Will be doing a shore dive with a LDS there).

really it doesnt matter as long as you communicate before with insta buddies or the DM ,I have used mine all over and bounce back and forth between PSI and BAR . The main thing is you have your own buddy and she already knows. Just tell the DM so he doesnt give you that really weird look when he asks you underwater how much air you have

That sounds reasonable enough. I could probably do the requisite math in my head for these dives (Nothing will be very deep) but I'm sure the DM will have much more experience dealing with PSI than I would with BAR.

Traveled to Thailand with Son (friend doing instructor training there) and did a liveaboard to Similan Islands; First Dive after I changed my integrated computer, tried to do my safety stop at 15 METERS... son couldn't figure out what I was doing... (the top sure seemed far!)

He had Imp. SPG but as has been said, not a real issue. Biggest (non) issue for me was during pre-dive orientation, just "picturing" the profile in metric; however after a few dives could "think" in both systems. I noticed it has stayed with me since...

It's only "new" for a few dives!

(I did dive metric for a few dives when i got back, but went back to imp. to be conforming with buddy's... but I think i prefer metric)

Bob in CO

Really simplified...
200 bar=3000 psi
100 bar=1500 psi
50 bar= time to get back on the boat!

Enjoy!

Australia, with stops near Cairns (The more dive-touristy of the destinations) and Sydney (Will be doing a shore dive with a LDS there).

Just one dive in Sydney? There's plenty of good options! Which LDS are you going with and do you know where they'll take you? If you're interested in adding another to the itinerary (either on a weekend or a night dive - I'm a 9-5er) I'd be happy to show you a good spot or two.

:D

Cam_snapper

As long as you know PSI, and you keep track of it, I don't see much problem there. The only time there may be confusion is when DM or dive guide or your instant buddy ask for your air. As long as you tell them your are on PSI, it should be OK

It's only "new" for a few dives!
I'm not really worried about diving in metric as far as units of distance, while I'm certainly more accustomed to feet/inches, I'm comfortable with meters as well, and have been learning the theory of diving with an eye towards both metric and imperial units. The only wrench in the works as far as I'm concerned is the completely different way of measuring tank volume.
Really simplified...
200 bar=3000 psi
100 bar=1500 psi
50 bar= time to get back on the boat!

Enjoy!
Which is interesting since 50 bar is close to 750 PSI, but diving PSI it's 500 when it's time to get back on the boat. But as I'll have my own SPG still, which still reads PSI, I won't be unfamiliar with the gear or the measure, I was just concerned with how a DM would deal with the fact that I was using PSI.

Just one dive in Sydney? There's plenty of good options! Which LDS are you going with and do you know where they'll take you? If you're interested in adding another to the itinerary (either on a weekend or a night dive - I'm a 9-5er) I'd be happy to show you a good spot or two.
Sadly just one. We only have one free day in Sydney, and even that is pushing it as we fly the next day. (It should be fine at close to 24hrs after the dive, but we'll probably dive that one nitrox just to get a little extra margin of safety.) Unfortunately the places we have the most free time there's less options for things to do as far as diving.

Likely we will be diving with Sydney Dive Academy on the 29th. It's not set in stone yet, and the location is flexible, depending, I imagine, on conditions, and the whim of whomever is participating. Likely somewhere around Bare Island.

Make sure you talk to your guide before going into the water, be clear on signals and PSI is not a problem even when everyone else is in Bar.

For dive briefings if I know I have divers who use feet not meters I also add these depths onto the maps and in the briefing when describing sites. Just ask and I am sure your guides will be happy to help.

Enjoy the diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom