First time packing for a trip with SCUBA gear. Help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flygirl74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Whoohoo!! I got my OW and have done a couple dives in Lake Jocassee. Now getting ready for my first trip. My hubby was so excited about getting me into SCUBA (after wanting me to do it for the last 16 years) that he bought me the entire set up as an anniversary gift. So here I am looking at all this stuff that weighs a ton and trying to figure out how best to pack it. I'm usually very good at packing since I work in the airline industry, which also means I know the rules when it comes to weight of checked luggage. My plan is to check one piece of luggage for me and one for the hubby (who also has a ton of gear) and for both of us to have a carry on. Any advice on best way to pack all this stuff? Things to take? Thanks from an excited newbie.

1) no weights
2) cram the most expensive, heaviest, personal, things into your carry on. A good start would be regs, computer, mask, and 1 change of clothes.

I bought a dive caddy works pretty damn good if you have the money. I'd say if your going to travel a lot invest in one.

Also helps if you think about what you might be able to rent or barrow if need be.

Where are you traveling to? Folks can give you suggestions on what you might want to bring (or not bring) based on where. Some locations all you need for a week are a couple of changes of clothes.

What type of exposure protection are you taking? Full foot/open heel with booties? All have weight and packing considerations.

I carry on mask, computer, regulators (these beasts tend to add a couple of pounds). All of my checked gear including full 3mm with core warmer, open heels, lights, etc. is about 35-37 lbs in the bag, before clothes etc.

We try to get by with just the included baggage allowance, but sometimes it just doesn't work out - usually if it is to "cooler" waters.

I came to the conclusion a while ago that if I am spending good money on the trip, paying for an extra bag between the two of us was a very small percentage of the total and therefore not worth the agony of trying to get by with one bag.

I'm one of those folks who absolutely hates the massive amount of carry-on that people bring on the planes :shocked2:.

Bill

We are traveling to a fancy resort for a friend's big birthday bash in the Keys. The trip is a week long. That causes another problem because this place has a dress code which means no bathing suit or casual cloths for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I will need to pack some nice cloths. No need for wetsuits, we have skins that will take no room at all. Since all of our flights are on American Eagle and I know they will have us drop our carry-ons off plane side I don't mind both of us having a 22" rollerboard. We are signed up to dive five days and the resort will provide tanks and weights. I have two large rolling bags that I'm planning on using as checked bags.

Large duffel holds fins, 3 mil suit, booties, bcd, regs, mask, wife and daughters fins and masks, Weight belt, (no lead). Small light, cutting tool. three t shirts (to wrap masks) shorts bathing suit sandals a light rain coat and a nice beach towel. Usually checks at 46 lb. I carry on the computer because of the pressure sensors. If the luggage depressurization it may effect your diver profiles for a day. Just switched to a SS backplate so I may have to let the girls pack their oun stuff. On cloths, what you wear on the plane should be fine for two or three nicer dinners, the rest of the trip you're in your bathing suit.

Any advice on best way to pack all this stuff? Things to take? Thanks from an excited newbie.

Flygirl,

My dad gave me one of his heavy canvas OD Army duffle bags when I left for college in the mid '70's. I still own and use this now-tired-looking Army duffle. I can pack *all* of my scuba gear into this duffle, including a weight belt and folded-up lightweight nylon scuba gear bag--even when I'm traveling with my heavy (compressed neoprene) drysuit and thick undergarments. No tank or weights, of course.

When I'm packing for a trip which includes air travel, at first I pack all my scuba gear in this Army duffle and all my non-scuba stuff (clothes, toiletries, etc.) in a regular carry-on bag--to make sure everything fits. Then, for the actual flight, I switch things around, you know, move all but toiletries and essential clothes from the carry-on to the duffle, and move my mask, regulator (including AIR II), gauges, etc., to my carry-on.

Then, when traveling, I actually have with me the Army duffle (which I check), the carry-on, and a laptop. BTW, my small U/W camera (Nikonos V and 15 mm) travels in my carry-on, too.

A couple of years ago, I flew from MO to WA to attend a week-long conference. I had arranged to meet a scuba instructor on Bainbridge Island in Puget Sound for my first dive ever in the Pacific Northwest. When I stepped off the ferry from Seattle, the instructor at first didn't recognize that I was the diver he was waiting for. He couldn't believe all of my cold-water gear was in my single Army duffle! He had been waiting for someone with a "big plastic bin."

Hope this helps.

Safe diving,

rx7diver

We are traveling to a fancy resort for a friend's big birthday bash in the Keys. The trip is a week long. That causes another problem because this place has a dress code which means no bathing suit or casual cloths for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I will need to pack some nice cloths. No need for wetsuits, we have skins that will take no room at all. Since all of our flights are on American Eagle and I know they will have us drop our carry-ons off plane side I don't mind both of us having a 22" rollerboard. We are signed up to dive five days and the resort will provide tanks and weights. I have two large rolling bags that I'm planning on using as checked bags.

Problem solved!

I wish more airlines would do the "gate check" thing. Air Canada does it on some of the short hauls - allows you to really pack that "carry-on", but never have to take it into the cabin.

Bill

Problem solved!

I wish more airlines would do the "gate check" thing. Air Canada does it on some of the short hauls - allows you to really pack that "carry-on", but never have to take it into the cabin.

Bill

As a flight attendant, no one hates carry on luggage more then me. I've often thought that the worse thing that happen in the industry is when the put wheels on luggage......followed by the airlines charging for checked bags.

First, congratulations on your certification AND on your gear acquisition. If you don't have one, get a portable digital scale, an essential piece of gear for dive travel. Debbie and I take our own gear everywhere we go and that includes spare parts, tool kit, first aid kit, at least one extra bc and octo, and many other things not all divers carry. We usually plan on checking two bags and distribute heavy stuff among all bags. Carrying on your regs and computers is a good idea, not really related to weight. Do the same with prescription masks, for sure. Our heaviest for their size stuff includes lights with batteries, cameras, tool kit, parts kit. Most have to be checked due to the nature of contents. You can save some weight by acquiring a light weight gear bag. If you use a soft bag, for certain carry on your regs and computers to avoid damage. ( probably your mask as well) Have a great trip. It doesn't take long to become an expert packer, especially if you get in a few trips each year.
DivemasterDennis

The portable luggage scale is a very good point. We travel with one as well and has readily proved it's worth.

Back
Top Bottom