Baggage Fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda22

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I am traveling to Micronesia this week. United Airlines advises me that if my bag is over 50 lbs. I will be charged $200.00. If I keep the weight under 50 lbs. by bringing a second bag, the charge will be $70.00. How does this make any sense at all? :shakehead:

I guess the old 70# limit was hard on the handlers, more so the ones in high heels - but the luggage fees game is mostly about airline revenue. Check 2 bags up to 50# each, 1 roll-on within dimensions, and a personal bag/backpack with your most important stuff. Good trip insurance can be a good idea depending on how your belongings are otherwise insured as airlines exclude scuba gear generally, and international tickets have much lower luggage liabilities if they lose your bags.

I'm gettin' ready for my annual Chuuk Lagoon/Palau trip for the whole month of October, and checking in two Stahlsacs of Tech Gear --both well over 32kg/70lbs:confused:. . .OWWWWWWWW!

Decided to leave my X-Scooter at home for this journey (another 40kg/90lbs). . .

I'm gettin' ready for my annual Chuuk Lagoon/Palau trip for the whole month of October, and checking in two Stahlsacs of Tech Gear --both well over 32kg/70lbs:confused:. . .OWWWWWWWW!

Decided to leave my X-Scooter at home for this journey (another 40kg/90lbs). . .
That is another bracket - and some airlines will not accept over 70# bags. Sometimes First Class is cheaper than luggage fees, but over 70 - depends.

The only thing here I see that does not make any sense is even considering bringing a bag that weighs over 50 lb.

I try to pack as light as possible but when you're traveling for over a month, it's not easy. Even harder for females. I've got it close to 50 lbs but if I'm off, It's $200.00. So I'll be lugging a second bag I don't really need.

At least I'm not paying the 70 lb. fees. United does allow up to 100 lbs. but over 70 lbs. is $400.00 per bag. Good luck Kev. Have a great trip.

Dive traveling is a time when I love my military ID...no baggage fees at all!

-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot/H2OBelow

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

Asian limit is now 20kg total for international flights. For a tech trip (drysuit, stage regs, etc.) this is only about half the necessary weight allowance. An extra 20kg costs anywhere from $200-500, one way. :(

Portable, digital luggage scales are a must nowadays.

These will work for less than $3 including shipping 20g 40Kg Pocket Digital Scale Electronic Hanging Luggage Fishing Balance Weight | eBay but the handle and hook weren't so great.

These might be great for less than $9 50Kg / 110lb Digital LCD handhold Travel luggage Suitcase Scale | eBay

And there are others. Sometimes I use them to weigh lead weights that are too worn to have numbers.

Thank you Don. That is very helpful. Too late to order from ebay but I found one at Walmart that could be ordered online and picked up locally. Much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom