Diver injured on land without trip insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I bet this young man felt typically invincible, so medical coverage was probably not one of his concerns - my bet anyway. The primary reason I take trip insurance is for medical coverage tho as my home coverage doesn't apply out of country, as many don't.

He may well have been a DAN member so they could have provided the medical evac, maybe. DAN members are entitled to Travelers Assist, which among other benefits: "Covers up to a maximum of $100,000 per person (if a Family Membership) for an emergency evacuation, or medically necessary repatriation" - dive injury, land injury, or just medical is the way I read that. This benefit is good in country or out as long as 50 miles from home, but has to be arranged thru DAN - not just booked in hopes of repayment later. And if he had the top dive insurance plan, he'd also have $10,000 non-diving accident insurance, but his needs went well beyond that.

I like TravelSafe.com for its comprehensive coverage, but http://www.insuremytrip.com/index.h...gle_PPC&utm_term=InsureMyTrip_com_Exact_30011 can show you comparisons with your preferences selected. I never buy from the airline or booking site as those plans have too many loopholes for me.

Man hit by drunk driver in Tobago, recovers at Shepherd Center | 11alive.com
ATLANTA, Ga. -- Prior to his scuba diving trip in Tobago, last month, Justin Lake was a young man with a bachelors of fine arts from the Art Institute of Atlanta.
However, Lake's life changed dramatically during that trip after he was hit by a drunk driver while sitting in a parking lot with a friend.
After the accident, Lake was airlifted to Trinidad and flown back to Piedmont Hospital for surgery on his spinal cord and now he's at the Shepherd Center finally regaining motion in his arms and legs.
Beyond therapy, the young man is facing an insurance nightmare. His insurance company wont cover the several hundred thousand dollars of international expenses.
However, Lake has a supportive family and he feeds off the 'likes' and 'comments' on his Facebook and fundraising pages.
"The hope that people give to me really keeps me going," Lake said.
And with that hope is is pushing for the best new life he can have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom