The Philippines vs. Roatan/Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhysherriott

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone, my wife and I recently started to plan a trip for the beginning of May 2013 for Roatan and Utila from Vancouver, Canada. After finding out flight costs and duration of travel (flight and multiple layovers) we decided to check out costs to fly to the Philippines Low and behold the flights cost the same and the duration of travel is roughly the same but with only 1 short layover so the Philippines has now become a real option. I guess the question I have, considering I know absolutely no knowledge of the Philippines, is the diving comparable? Is the cost of accommodations comparable? I wouldn't even know where to begin with the Philippines. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. A friend suggested Boracay and Cebu but I have very limited knowledge of SE Asia.

Cheers,
Rhys

The same unusual premise was broached the other day in a different forum. read-> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/438287-roatan-utila-compared-asia.html

...I guess the question I have, considering I know absolutely no knowledge of the Philippines, is the diving comparable?

Yes, they are comparable. Everything is.

Are they similar? Yes, they are both in salt water.

The Philippines are the bargain of the SoPac. If you want to go up-scale, even that isn't very pricey. The Bay Islands pricing can be as low, but not as a rule. The stuff you see in the Philippines in the 3* category... that isn't even available on the Bay Islands. You can buy stellar service very cheaply in the Philippines, on the Bay Islands? That concept hasn't quite made it there yet (at any price).

If your limited number of dives as represented on your dive profile is accurate, many areas in the Philippines would likely be far beyond your experience and current comfort zone. At this point in most people's dive careers, they are not really seeing much sea life beyond their SPG, whether they know (or believe) it or not.

Maybe gain some serious volume of "easy" dives before going to the Philippines- a place where divers with more experience can really see the differences. The Philippines can often require gearing up in small boats, backrolls on command, immediate descents due to current, riding that current and staying in profile, staying with your DM to ensure your pick-up, hovering at 5m depth in current awaiting pick-up, small boat recovery, etc. Are you ready for all of that... thrown at you all at once?

In the Philippines, many dive schedules are arranged to give you a max of three dives in a day. In the Caribbean, they have a greater pressure from North American divers who want to see options of 4 a day including a night dive, some offer 5. The Caribbean boats are very easy to get on and off, and there is (by any comparison) very little current anywhere in the Caribbean. (Tobago being the notable exception)

The comparative high volume and intensity of sea life in the Philippines would make answering your question very easy, if but not for the above factors. I would suggest doing enough Caribbean diving to get maybe another 30+ dives in your log book. Perfect your buoyancy. Go play in the currents of Cozumel, learn to nose-in and see the little critters on the South side of Roatan.

Then, you'll be ready for the next big step.

Last edited:
Rhys,

Good day...

I would second everything that Roatan Man just said. When I was looking at a trip to Utila/Roatan last spring his advice was spot on. :clapping:

My SE Asia diving experience could easily be described by Roatan Man's description...current, backrolls from an inflatable, etc. I agree, wait a little longer to increase your skill set before embarking to the South Pacific...but still plan it as it can be wonderful.

Utila or Roatan...not the same-same.

Utila great for training...I am planning on going back for my Instructor's training.

Roatan great for pleasure diving...I am planning on going back with my family and friends as a group for fun diving.

Can you have "fun dives" on Utila or "dive training" on Roatan ... absolutely, there are good providers for both on each island. IMO, I think each island has evolved into the two distinct markets.

If you are interested in dive training on Utila, I can strongly recommend www.utiladivecenter.com I trained with them for three weeks and thought my training was super and the cost was very reasonable. When your course(s) are finished or before they begin, UDC will let you do as much diving as you want to. I have a feeling this is pretty standard for most dive operations. UDC is affiliated with the www.mango-inn.com and it is quite nice. At the suggestion of Andy Phillips, UDC's Course Director, my GF and I stayed at the Lighthouse Inn http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/251732-lighthouse-hotel-utila.html. It was an easy walk to the dive center and the main street on Utila with all of the markets and restaurants. If you go to Utila, be prepared that it is NOT touristy, very much a Caribbean/Central American community...but not to ruralish.:grinbandit:

If you are interested in fun dives on Roatan, I can strongly recommend www.anthonyskey.com AKR is an all inclusive resort with great food, super accommodations on the island/key (did not try their hillside rooms as all of the reviews I read suggested the island/key bungalows) and three daily dive trips around the island. If you are looking for a specialty dive course they do offer them as well. My GF does not dive, so I dove a two-tank dive in the AM while she slept in and then after lunch I when snorkeling with her. If you do go to AKR...the Dolphin swim is a must do activity. They have the usual beach-dolphin encounter that lasts about 30 minutes where you wade out into the water and learn about dolphins and get your picture with them, but the real treat was the swim with them in their environment. I have dived with free-ranging dolphins before and they seem to lose interest in you in a few minutes. These guys love to play with you. I am a wildlife biologist, so normally I do not care for captive animals "performing", but the staff biologist and handlers really do care for the dolphins and their facilities are very good. AKR often run 2-1 specials, maybe if you take the wait and see approach they might run one when you are planning your trip. Also sign up for their newsletter as they email specials all of the time.

These are the two centers/resorts I stayed at on my first Honduras trip. I know that both islands have others that are just as good with different amenities to suit your desires and needs. There are many good posts on SB about some of the different operations.

Good luck on which ever destination you choose and have a good time.

~Michael ~
:bounce4::bounce2::bounce:

Great advice! I really value any knowledge I can get from such experienced divers. I think you both are right about gaining more experience before taking on more advanced scenarios. Michael, would suggest doing a week in each Utila and Roatan or just stick to just Roatan? Both my wife and I dive (I am more gung ho about it mind you, I could dive 4 times a day and just love it) but I get the feeling that Utila is pretty much just focused around diving and the wife might grow tired of that. I keep hearing about AKR, do you know anything about Bananarama Resort? They seem to have awesome prices and are a smaller operator (not a fan of cattle boats). The Dolphin Dive is right at the top of the list for sure.

Thank you both again for you advice, I really enjoy this site and the people on it.

Rhys

RM's advice was clear and objective even though he would have good reason to be subjective (as do I).

I've done tons of diving in SE Asia, including in the Philippines, and I've done some diving in Honduras as well. In terms of what I want from diving, given my experience level and interests, there would be no reason at all to spend any amount of money to go to Honduras again--I'd spend all my resources in the Philippines or in Indonesia or in Malaysia or in Thailand, or in some other Indo-Pacific destination. But for a new diver, and particularly if you don't have experience traveling around in Asia, it might be too much task loading to jump straight into Philippines diving. As somebody who books Philippines dive travel for customers, I can tell you that getting around in the PI is an "adventure" if you're doing anything beyond getting to one place, staying there, and then getting out. It's very helpful that English is widely spoken in the PI, but beyond that, the infrastructure for tourism is still very much in development. There are places in SE Asia that are less work, if you find cheap flights to Singapore, Bangkok, or Kuala Lumpur, and some of those would be better alternatives to the PI for a diver of your experience, in my opinion. Once you've got a little Asia dive travel experience, or once you can call yourself an experienced diver, then I think you'll be ready for the Philippines.

Travel within the Philippines was an adventure, for sure. :shocked2: Was especially glad for the massage place at our departure lounge in Cebu, needed it after the 2 hour drive to the airport where our driver raced an ambulance most of the way (was supposed to be a 3 hour drive.) We stayed out in front most of the time - couldn't even get a picture of the water buffalo grazing next to the full-sized bus that had fallen off the 1.5 lane road into a ditch. (All the stories are coming back to me now...and I'd go back tomorrow!)

If you're considering Roatan/Utila now, one option might be to spend more of your time on Roatan then take the ferries over to Utila for a couple of days. Accommodations are very reasonable in town but you're right, there's not much else to do there. The ferry schedule would actually allow for a same day noon departure back on Roatan so you could book r/t flights from there. We stayed at Deep Blue Utila - it's quiet and 5mins. by boat away from town.

Bananarama is in West Bay. Nicest beaches on Roatan are in that area - also some restaurants. 2mi. away is the West End for more restaurant/shopping/nightlife (such as it is) choices. There's also a water taxi, most people don't drive on Roatan - potential liabilities are huge if you hit something. Arguably one of the best Indian food restaurants in the Caribbean is in the West End - Ooloonthoo. Most of the other dining is more typical. Anthony's Key is by itself in a compound so most people tend to stay/eat/dive there. The West End is 5mins. by cab from AKR. We did the Dolphin Dive, it's worth it. 4 of us dove with 3 dolphins for 45mins. in 60'. At first they cruise around the nearby reef but then they'll come and interact with you up close and personal.

One other thing is that May is the tail end of Whale Shark season on Utila. Snorkeling with them is one of my top five dive experiences. Most operators do 3 dives/day then some look for Whale Sharks afterwards. If one is spotted the captains share on the radio since by law they're only supposed to do two drops per boat. The AI resorts (Deep Blue, Laguna Beach, Utopia Village) also have shore dives off their beach. Cheaper accommodations are in town, it's a huge dive training area so there's even hostels and dorm style places. It's a pretty small downtown with just a few restaurants and bars. Utila is a big backpacking destination due to the low cost to stay there. Unless your wife is into nature things like birdwatching she may be bored. There's not even a lot of good public beaches near town - although there are a couple.

I recommend the Dumagete area of the Philippines (Dauin Coast). Brilliant diving and incredibly easy and relaxing. Perfect for recently qualified divers. But plenty to keep experienced divers happy. Had no problems travel wise - flew into Manila then a one hour flight to Dumagete and met by the resort minibus for the short drive to the resort. My teenage daughter just loved the diving because it easy so easy and no currents on the coastal dives. Optional dives at Apo Island can have currents and big schools of jacks for those wanting a bit of action.

Tapatalk 2

I'd say since you have the chance now to go to the Philippines go and don't think twice about it. No one who's responded has indicated anything other than what is the case...the Philippines has (far) superior diving. The arguments against focus around gaining more experience and the perceived difficulty of traveling in the Philippines. I'd disagree on both counts. As a general rule, I don't find diving in the Philippines any more challenging that diving Roatan. Bohol, Anilao, and Dumaguete all immediately come to mind as destinations where many dive sites don't have ripping currents, etc. So why not build your dive experience where you can end most dives with a "wow," rather than "that was nice?" The poster is a new diver, not necessarily a new traveler (while he did indicate he had little experience specifically in SE Asia). The Philippines is easy to get around with a low cost, organized airline network and, as others have indicated, English is widely spoken. It is far easier to get around than, say, Indonesia. And there are places where you can get in more than 3 dives per day, if you desired. The resort I usually stay at in Dumaguete or Puerto Galera (Atlantis), for example, has an unlimited dive package where you could dive 5x day if you wanted to.

Finally, one other thing to think about is how often you are able to get away and afford two week international holidays. You have an opportunity now to go...unexpected issues with work, money, family, etc have a way of making travel difficult. I'd hate to think you perhaps wound up putting off a trip to a place like the Philippnes 4-5 years over some of the perceptions that have been raised in this thread. Go and enjoy the fantastic diving in the Philippines--you won't regret it! If you need any recommendations with destinations feel free to pm me or I know any member of the board would be happy to help.

The arguments against focus around gaining more experience and the perceived difficulty of traveling in the Philippines. I'd disagree on both counts.

We are in agreement. As I said above the diving we did there was fantastic and the easiest tropical diving I have ever done. My teenage daughter who is often happy just to do one dive per day was signing up for 3 dives each day. She couldn't get enough of it and one of the main reasons is that the water was calm, warm and free of currents.

There are plenty of turtles and I saw more frogfish in a single dive than I had in two trips to Indonesia. The mandarin fish dive was also far better than the equivalent dive in Indo. Lion fish were very common, and there were plenty of nudibranchs and all sorts of invertebrates.

Here are some photos of the Dumaguete area. Note that amongst the photos are some of my teenage daughter, and a 12 year old beginner who was on the trip, indicating that there dives over there quite suitable for new divers. For the more experienced divers there are a few more dramatic sites at Apo island. I was travelling with a large group of divers many of whom had around 30 years or more experience and none where disappointed with any of the sites.
https://picasaweb.google.com/118038872344502304872/PhilippinesDauinCoastAndApoIsland

Back
Top Bottom