New divers o/w looking for holiday with easy diving back to sharm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve A

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, the wife and I did our o/w in Sharm in Sept and have not dived since. We have two weeks off work start of March and were thinking of getting some more experience. We are both a little apprehensive (nervous) so are looking for somewhere warm with plenty of marine life and shallow easy diving ie. max 18m deep as we both like to see the bottom lol. When we did our o/w we were very naïve and headed off to tiran and did Jackson and Thomas then went to ras mo and did Shark to Yolanda but I am very nervous about going back there due to current and depth and would be happy finning around in 12-18m of water with little current and taking in the surroundings until we get better aquainted with our new hobby. We have bought a bit of kit ie our own regs and bcd's etc. which we are going to try in our local swimming pool. Can anyone recommend any other destinations we could try besides Sharm or any easy dive sites in and around sharm. We have a maximum budget of £2500 gbp for 11 nights AI and maybe around 7 to 8 dives.

How about Marsa Alam? Plenty of shallow sites with turtles, seahorses, nudibranches and with luck dugongs and dolphins.
The Mediterramean is not really warm at this time of the year but there are very nice sites in Croatia and Greece (not as colourful as the Red Sea of course).

Thanks folks Bonaire looks great but I am not sure which travel brokers travel from the u.k.? Anyone point me in the right direction? I think it would probably be over budget though. Marsa Alam looks like an option, I will have a look cheers Steve

A small refresher course/ dive in local waters or confined areas may help you work out your fears safely and without the extra money spent, and then vacation where you're comfortable. After all, you're on vacation to have fun, not have that anxious feeling of wanting to go diving but wonder what may happen :) Pending on where you go I'm under the impression some places may require you to dive with a dm/ instructor if you haven't done scuba in the last 6 months.

I haven't been there myself but have you looked at the Caymans? My friend regularly goes there and there seems to be stingray diving in shallow water, it seems like it would be a beautiful experience.

Thailand has what you want. Lots of easy diving and some more challenging stuff as well if your confidence grows. March is perfect. Flat water, warm sea and air, no rain to speak of.

Where in the UK are you? I know you have no interest in UK diving, but if join a local club as a social member, you can join their overseas/warm water trips. Takes all the hassle of planning out of it, just need to pay. Also, you can do a refresher before you head off as well as have access to a pool year round to keep skills fresh

There is a local club which we are going to swimming pool session on Saturday to get aquainted with our new gear. They are off to sharm in may but unfortunately we have other commitments then.

Malta, Lanzarote, and there's probably others as well

I'd second the vote for Thailand. Warm water, cheap, awesome food, cheap beer, great people, and then there's the diving...
There's lots of nice easy diving, with flat water, little currents, and lots of pretty fish and corals.
Warm water also means little neoprene which means buoyancy is easier as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom