Travel insurance above DAN "Preferred" plan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We are members of DAN and we have the "Preferred" plan which states that it includes a lifetime $10K travel insurance for Diving Vacation Cancellation and $5K for Diving Vacation Interruption.

Does anyone have experience with what this pays or doesn't pay for?

I know DAN has an excellent reputation for paying for dive related injuries but I wonder if the vacation insurance is through another company.

Thanks,

Bill

An aquaintainace just had a claim with DAN. They requested very reasonable proof of the claim and processed it quickly once the forms were submitted. Like got a check in 3 weeks.

I believe the trip cancellation/interruption insurance included with preferred only kicks in if you're sick and can't dive. It's not regular travel insurance, does nothing for when someone dies, a hurricane wipes out your trip, your house burns down, etc.

I believe the trip cancellation/interruption insurance included with preferred only kicks in if you're sick and can't dive. It's not regular travel insurance, does nothing for when someone dies, a hurricane wipes out your trip, your house burns down, etc.
No, I think it's only when you're injured and can't dive.

TC:
The DAN website says sickness or injury.

DAN | News
Thanks. I was wrong. :blush: And I should have tried to claim when I had a flu relapse on a liveaboard once, except there was no doctor available.

Still, it's not comprehensive Trip Insurance. I get mine from TavelSafe, but DAN's Trip insurance may be good too.

Yes, I looked at DAN's policy before my recent Bahamas trip and saw that it was only for sickness or injury.

Our most common issue is weather related travel delays. Something not covered by DAN. So we skip DAN and get complete coverage under a single policy for everything. That way there can be no bickering between the insurance companies.

Our most common issue is weather related travel delays. Something not covered by DAN. So we skip DAN and get complete coverage under a single policy for everything. That way there can be no bickering between the insurance companies.
Ok, DAN is best known for dive insurance but also offers trip insurance, etc. - and confusion on which is possible.

Your single policy covers dive accidents fully like DAN's dive insurance plus offers comprehensive trip insurance? :confused:

I carry the annual DAN dive insurance like most, plus TravelSafe trip insurance. If I ever have a significant claim, they may overlap coverage - but that just tells me I'm totally covered. They can bicker over which pays what percentage, but I get my 100%.

Weather related delays are not covered by DAN dive insurance. They would be covered by DAN travel insurance.

I don't follow the logic either. It's like saying having car insurance and homeowners insurance from different companies is a problem. Dive accident insurance and travel insurance are not really remotely the same thing. Yes, there are a few crumbs in DAN preferred that look on the surface like travel insurance, but they're not - and I'm not sure they even overlap. Unless you get travel insurance that allows you to cancel for any reason, lots of the injuries/illness that would prevent you from diving are probably not things that a regular travel insurance policy would classify as a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom