How to pack for flight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve A

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is our first holiday as new divers and was wondering is it ok to take diving items ie. regs and octo in hand luggage? Do you pack dive computers in your cases as they may look suspicious on xray? Just wondering as i don't want to get stopped at check in or customs? We are returning to Sharm where we did our SSI o/w in September and have bought all our own gear to take with us. Also spare air or pony bottles anyone take these(not that we have any as yet)?. I have been told by the travel agent that on Thomson flights we will receive an extra 5kgs if we produce our diving licence at check in. Has anyone any experience with this? Thanks Steve

Yes. Carry on your regs and computer. Separate them from your luggage when going through X-ray. When I had them in the bag in the carry on they had trouble seeng them so they had to pull them out and recheck.
It's no problem and safer than checked luggage. Also you computer owners manual probably tells you to take it in the cabin with you. Mine does.

I have no experience with ponies but I read some posts that you have to drain them and remove the valve so inspectors can look inside if they need to.

When we travel regs, flashlights , Computers , cameras all go into our carry-on i use a backpack
:cool2:. So far no problems,The back pack is very easy to look in . Be Safe :)

When we travel regs, flashlights , Computers , cameras all go into our carry-on i use a backpack
:cool2:. So far no problems,The back pack is very easy to look in . Be Safe :)

We do the exact same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We carry on high value items and items that we can not replace easily.

So cameras and computers are high value. My dive buddy's prescription mask could not be replaced on site.

Everything else gets checked. We can alway rent bcd, regs or wetsuits. Would not be happy, but we could do it.

Oh - I also carry on 1 swimsuit and a clean set of underwear.

Never heard about the extra weight allowance if you are a diver. I have heard that some airlines try to charge extra for scuba gear.

I wouldn't carry a pony. You have to empty it and remove the valve. And some (if not most) airlines have additional costs for the pony.

On vacation, I carry my regs, computer, light, mask, compass with me on the flight. I also carry all my camera equipment. The other equipment, I just rent, just because I'm too lazy to pack anything else, and I can handle all the other items having faults (unless I'm giving a tank with an excessive amount of CO - but that's what my CO tester is for).

You're going to get a lot of advice on this forum from US based divers who generally travel to the Caribbean.

I am guessing you are British (because of the funny words you use) and the fact that you are going to Sharm (which is along an established trolley route from England). London to Sharm flights see a whole lot of SCUBA divers.

You will find that security posted along that route has seen SCUBA gear before, unlike the untrained TSA that we have protecting us over on this longitude.

Unless you fit some profile, your passage through Customs should be uneventful.

Get some more dives in before you decide if you really need to drag pony tanks with you to these warm-water-pretty-fish .

Lights, computers, instruments, expensive rebreather bits go in the carry on. Tanks are ok with the valves off. I find it helps to tell the security people that there is dive gear in it when it's going through the X-ray machine.

For us, we use two different packing methods. For the trip to our destination, we carry on the must have items so our carry on items include a change of clothes, shorts, swim suits, prescription drugs, laptop, dive computers and depending on the location the camera and housing. Everything else is checked and we have never had an issue with things missing out of the bags but we have had our bags delayed a few times. A couple of years ago on a Komodo trip, on the domestic flight between DPS and LBJ, the carrier left six bags in Bali for people on the liveaboard, some people didn't get any of their bags. The boat was able to provide enough dive gear to get everybody diving until the bags showed up late the next day but guests who didn't pack enough in their carryon bags were borrowing swim suits, clothes, etc.
On the trip home, all of the dive gear is checked and the carryon bags have the heavier clothes that we will need once we return home plus prescription drugs, laptop, etc.

Cheers Guys, yes we use funny words here in the u.k. especially in the midlands our kid! Thanks for the advice i will take regs computers and my prescription mask in our hand luggage then. Thanks again Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom