Fins and Carry On

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imoto

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried strapping their fins to the outside of a carry on bag and made it onto the plane? Or for that matter, anything else strapped outside? I've seen some pretty strange things stuffed into overhead compartments. I'm just wondering what my chances may be.

I'm allowed 22 inches but the fins are 24 inches but can "fold" at the tips if needed.

I'm going on a Blackbeard Cruise and am trying to fit all I need into my carry on and backpack.

Thanks.

I have seen many people carry on fins. And lots of other stuff that was way too big.

I have also seen many people being forced to sky check their over size bags.

I suggest you research the type of plane you will be flying on and figure out how big the luggage racks are.

My last (non diving) trip involved multiple commuter type planes (yyz to abq and back) whose overheads were way smaller than the maximum carry on size. Lots of surprised and grumpy passengers forced to sky check their "legal" bags.

But if you are cheap, it is a valid strategy. Sky check is free. So go for it!

I'm not familiar with sky check. I will be taking a prop plane from Pittsburgh to Newark, but didn't see anything about stricter standards for carry on luggage. I'll have to look.

I'm not familiar with sky check. I will be taking a prop plane from Pittsburgh to Newark, but didn't see anything about stricter standards for carry on luggage. I'll have to look.
Sky check == when your carry on luggage won't fit in the plane. You leave it outside the plane, it gets tossed in with the rest of the baggage, but you collect it as soon as you step off the plane. It is a normal business travel thing for small commuter planes. You do not have to pay or wait for the normal baggage handling. Kind of a loop hole around luggage fees...

These planes do not have any special carry on restrictions, just a surprise for the unsuspecting traveller.

I strapped mine to my small backpack that had my mask, regulator and computer, along with my clothes while I was coming out of Thailand and back to Dubai and Baghdad. No issues there, other than Iraqi Airport "secureity" freaks out each time they see my regulators in their X-Ray machines. I now carry dive magazines to show them pictures of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom