TSA Allows 6cm Knife Blades in Carryon Starting in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone who has substantial investment in being able to carry on everything, I've been borrowing dive knives as needed at destination. But now I'll probably get something like this:
Scubapro K-3. Accessories Knives, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive

Anyone else with me on this one, or do most of you check luggage or find your machete sized knife indispensable?

You should read the proposed rules more carefully:

Under the proposed rules, knives with blades that are 2.36 inches (6 centimeters) or shorter and less than 1/2 inch wide will be allowed in airline cabins as long as the blade is not fixed or does not lock into place

Another good reason to leave your inner Mike Nelson at home and carry EMT shears

I don't think that will work. I believe the blade cannot be thicker the .5 inches, cannot have a molded handle, locking blade, along with the length restriction and I believe there is one more that I am forgetting.

the allowance is specifically for small Swiss army type knives or small folding type pocket knives.

I know this is for another discussion, but now a container of yogurt is seen as more dangerous than a knife.

I know this is for another discussion, but now a container of yogurt is seen as more dangerous than a knife.

It comforts me to know I am still safe from a lunatic with a 6 ounce tube of toothpaste.

this feels like a pub topic

I could care less about the blade thickness. What scares me is that knitting needles get on the planes. Piss off an old knitter and you might be getting stitches!!!:rofl3:

Maybe so, but can you take that back on the plane going through security when you leave your destination (assuming you did not stay in the US)?

Maybe so, but can you take that back on the plane going through security when you leave your destination (assuming you did not stay in the US)?
Absolutely correct . I had to run pel mel from security back to the check luggage counter In Chile, because TSA let me carry on my fly fishing flys but in Chile it was No Way Jose', luckily the airline bagage clerk was on "Chilean Time" and my checked bag was still there.

TSA still doesn't realize what serious damage a regular ball point pen can do in the right hands.
And they still want to ban nail clippers!?

This rule will never come to pass.

How it got this far baffles me.

it just ain't gonna happen.

It seems odd that box cutters, weapon of choice for the 9/11 Hijackers, are still banned but knives are now OK.
This change,if it manages to go through, will cause even more delays, the TSA goons now will be measuring the length
of the blades and measuring little bats, as well as making sure your shampoo and toothpaste are the right size.
But you still will not be able to take your water through security-brilliant!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom