Have a new camera! Best shore diving end of July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a new Sealife Camera and thought that it would be smart to learn how to use it on a trip where I wasn't holding up a dive master. That brings us to the question, what place in the Caribbean / Mexico has the best Shore diving? Is it still Bonaire? Looking to dive the last week of July.

Thanks!
WaterDance

Bonaire has about 27 miles of protected reef, you can photo as much as you want with no guide needed. I dont know if that is the best, but it certainly is great.

I don't think you'll find too many people that woud disagree that Bonaire remains one of the top shore diving locations in the Caribbean/Mexico. I was there late last year and loved it. The other place that gets a lot of press for shore diving is Curacao, which apparently has easier shore entries and often cheaper flights (I haven't been there).

James

Thanks for the info! I actually have been to both Bonaire and Curacao, with mixed feelings on Bonaire. I wasn't happy with my accommodations, and though I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference with the diving, it really did.

You have to be comfortable to enjoy your stay. You only dive a few hours of the day, and a good nights sleep is a must. Also on those days you cant dive, you need to have something to do, a resort that has lots to offer is a good start. I try to stick to the five star if I can. I research trip advisor a lot before I make a decision where to go and stay.

I think one of the BC's are still the best. Second would be Grand Cayman followed by Cane Bay Wall off St. Croix.

a resort that has lots to offer is a good start. I try to stick to the five star if I can.
You've obviously never been to Bonaire...:D

Its on my list and so is cayman islands, but Id like to do Roataan again. Was much more to see there.
I need a second job to pay for my addiction!!!

I think one of the BC's are still the best. Second would be Grand Cayman followed by Cane Bay Wall off St. Croix.

BC, sorry, is that British Columbia?
I dove Little Cayman a year ago in November and absolutely LOVED it. However, that was all boat diving. Is there good shore diving in Grand Cayman?

Waterdance

Its on my list and so is cayman islands, but Id like to do Roataan again. Was much more to see there.
I need a second job to pay for my addiction!!!

Bonaire comes to any diver's mind, but I would take the shore dive at Roatan's CCV/FI overall. The simplicity of just walking out of you room and falling in to a wreck and two nice walls. This shallow area gives some better divers 2 hr BT's. Incredible macro opportunities in a concentrated area.

Learn to use your camera at home in the pool ( or hot tub). Practice photographing pennies, your thumb, the lines on the lanes, any other small object. Learn to not fumble.

It is really not hard to stay with a group while photographing, as long as you aren't trying to learn your camera settings while on that dive. I have actually seen one idiot who had laminated copies of his camera manual and was flipping through them while he thrashed around a Seahorse that no one else could get near.

Back
Top Bottom