Confused newbie in need of suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

astralmind

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here is what our situation looks like:

We dove for the first time and got OW/AOW certified in Roatan in February 2013 (a month ago at the Bananarama), logging a total of 17 dives. Absolutely LOVED it there and fell in love with diving overall.

We live in Montreal, Canada up north which means limited diving options locally. We will be diving this summer, mostly wrecks in fresh water but are already looking forward to our next adventure in warm waters.

We just got our gear so no need for rentals besides tanks and weights.

Trips to Roatan are very cheap from Montreal as Sunwing as direct flights and packages but only from October up to April which is fairly limiting.

I don't know when we'll be able to take vacation time again but would be looking at 2 weeks straight as regardless of where we end up the flight will be rather expensive vs other expenses.

Most of our dives were from boats, in groups of 3 up to 8, always with a divemaster who "knew the way".

We are not looking for fancy high end resorts, as a reference point we thought the Bananarama was spectacular and more than enough for our needs. We want this to be mainly a diving vacation on a budget.

I've read up a lot, but would still like some more personal opinions.

Our limitations are mostly of the financial order, besides that we are rookies and although confident, safe divers I'm not convinced we'd be up to randomly wander on our own (that Navigation dive wasn't all that spectacular you know...).

So far we've been considering going back to Roatan when we can catch a good deal, pro - known territory, loved it - con would rather try something different.

Bonaire pops up all over the place as THE place to go and yet, from my rookie perspective it looks very similar to Roatan without the convenience (some would call it restrictions) of an always available DM and no headache solution. Also more expensive than the Roatan option or similar when "out of season". A bit confused about this one. Would it be worth risking it ?

Another extremely different option we've been considering is Thailand. Flights are more expensive obviously, by roughly 500$ for us and travel time is much longer. However, the instructor we learned with in Roatan, who was outstanding, was talking about eventually moving there... It got us thinking about it. Would it be worth the extra money ? I know we are looking at a very very different option here. What I find odd is that Thailand is barely listed on the various "best scuba lists" which I guess means something.

I'm sure there are other options we haven't considered but in the end:

- Limited budget albeit not backpacking shoestring
- 2 weeks, undetermined/flexible time of the year
- Rookie friendly, no need for hand holding but certainly not totally independent
- Diving focused, don't care much for other attractions beyond tasty food :wink:

We can't afford to travel more than once a year so we want to make the most out of it. I know our scenario is generic as hell but figured some might have valuable tips for us :)

Thanks!

bonaire is easy diving.
its just 1 reef that runs around the island with about 50 places to get in.
maybe take a dm for the first couple of dives and then go for it on your own.

bonaire is easy diving.
its just 1 reef that runs around the island with about 50 places to get in.
maybe take a dm for the first couple of dives and then go for it on your own.

When you say "take a DM" how would that work? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but most dive operations in Roatan were running boats in small groups always with a DM guiding the gang. From what I've gathered people are renting trucks in Bonaire and diving on their own - I haven't seen much reference to a single dive OP preferred above another as people seem to rely strictly on their personal plans and knowledge.

I've seen an organized group advertising a packaged solution leaving from Montreal 2200$ for a single week, excluding meals, including air and 6 boat dives. Compared to roughly the same for 2 weeks in Roatan, including all meals (and very decent ones) with a 10 dives package. The real value seems to be in the "unlimited" shore dives Bonaire offers but considering the food extra + lodging extra, we could probably "unlimited boat dives" in Roatan for the same price :wink:

Just wondering and certainly not dissing Bonaire in any ways, I'm just referring back to my only known experience.

There's more fresh water diving relatively near you than you might think. I'm going to recommend you build up your diving experience before you travel again. Focusing on buoyancy and navigation skills until you don't have to think about them will pay huge dividends. IMHO, you might have a card that says AOW, at 17 dives, you won't have the skills that say AOW to me. I had 35 dives logged, before I did my AOW course. By that point I didn't have to think about buoyancy, checking air, watching my buddy and buddy checks, etc. Can you (have you) done an ascent from 50 to 60 feet, with a safety stop,WITHOUT a guide line? It's critical that you can, because you may not always be able to get back to the mooring line on a boat dive. Local shore dives and boat dives will help you answer some of those questions. Start slowly. Remember your training gives you permission to learn more and prepares you to dive in conditions similar to what you learned in. Cold water will add to the task loading. I'd encourage you to consider a DM or instructor for your first cold water excursion.
Kingston isn't so far away and a lot of great wreck diving. I always go to these guys Welcome to Northern Tech Diver . Brockville and other spots along the river will give you exposure to current diving. The Conestoga in Cardinal is one. NTD - Resources - Shore Dives - Connestoga and the Rothesay is another Wreck of the Rothesay - YouTube
I haven't been to Bonaire or Roatan, but I will comment that my former neighbour is an instructor, travelled widely and Bonaire is hands down his favourite destination.

There's more fresh water diving relatively near you than you might think. I'm going to recommend you build up your diving experience before you travel again. Focusing on buoyancy and navigation skills until you don't have to think about them will pay huge dividends. IMHO, you might have a card that says AOW, at 17 dives, you won't have the skills that say AOW to me. I had 35 dives logged, before I did my AOW course. By that point I didn't have to think about buoyancy, checking air, watching my buddy and buddy checks, etc. Can you (have you) done an ascent from 50 to 60 feet, with a safety stop,WITHOUT a guide line? It's critical that you can, because you may not always be able to get back to the mooring line on a boat dive. Local shore dives and boat dives will help you answer some of those questions. Start slowly. Remember your training gives you permission to learn more and prepares you to dive in conditions similar to what you learned in. Cold water will add to the task loading. I'd encourage you to consider a DM or instructor for your first cold water excursion.
Kingston isn't so far away and a lot of great wreck diving. I always go to these guys Welcome to Northern Tech Diver . Brockville and other spots along the river will give you exposure to current diving. The Conestoga in Cardinal is one. NTD - Resources - Shore Dives - Connestoga and the Rothesay is another Wreck of the Rothesay - YouTube
I haven't been to Bonaire or Roatan, but I will comment that my former neighbour is an instructor, travelled widely and Bonaire is hands down his favourite destination.

Some excellent points you are bringing up here, I guess I should have elaborated a bit more on our background and intent.

First off, you are absolutely right when you say that 17 dives brings us nowhere near Advanced. In fact, I kind of laugh when I look at our so called "advanced" certification card. We did the AOW in Roatan because we had the chance to be alone with our instructor and really enjoyed diving and learning with him. By our limited knowledge, he was an excellent "master" which we trusted. That and we did not want to be limited by not having it knowing that some more local dive OPs request it simply for the sake of you having it (and possibly "Up sell" you to it if you don't).

All this to say, trust me, we are very humble about our status and do not consider ourselves even remotely advanced.

That being said, I think we did pretty well on such a limited experience and while being far from great, we are at least having fun and feel confident without being reckless as opposed to other divers we saw who proudly chatted about their numerous dives and were far from "ideal divers".

You are also right about the local opportunities which we intend to benefit from as soon as the water temp becomes bearable (don't want to go dry for now). My wife's friend from university is actually a commercial/tech diver, certified instructor who has been diving for 30 years! Very nice guy who is diving every weekend in the Brockville area and got his own boat :) We are looking forward to this as much as our next trip and intend to practice and learn as much as time permits! We even got our own gear for that reason: had we intended to strictly "vacation dive" (horrible thought) we would have gone on renting.

Wrecks are fun and if my bathtub was large enough I'd be testing my gear in it as we speak hehe... but in the end we are both obsessed with marine life and so, tropical conditions offer that edge over whatever we will be able to get locally.

Ideal scenario would be diving all summer long until October locally, logging in an extra 20+ dives at a gradual pace, tagging along with other experienced divers who will be able to observe and help us improve without monitoring us non stop. Next trip would then be in winter, maybe next January... earlier would have been fun though.

Bonaire is easier that it sounds Navigation is very easy - reef on left going out - reef on right coming back or vise versa.
I would suggest that you not do the "far east" till you have more than two weeks.
I would also suggest that you make a list of about five places to visit

Bonaire
Belize
Cayman Brac
Roatan
Cozumel

I just made up five at random. Then look at dive operations and packages at each and what you like and dislike and go with the best deal. Over time you will hit them all.

Belize is a top shelf location to do a week of diving and a week in land doing land based/cultural activities.
The Caymans and the T&C will always be a little more expensive.
If you are your wife decide that what you really want is two dives a day and then down time - Cozumel is awful hard to top for the price. You can do more than two dives a day there if you have a mind to but there are better places for the 4-6 dive a day types.

Bonaire and Roatan for dive your butt off!

Hi again,

It seems we have lots in common!

We did a 10 day Bonaire/Curacao trip right after certification. It is a great location for new divers (shallow, good viz, little to no current, very easy navigation) and it sounds like you guys would love it. Its nice to have time to fiddle and work on skills without other people waiting around on you or setting your profiles. You can rent a DM through your dive shop or you can ask someone at VIP divers to go out with you. They are fantastic and really taught us a lot and showed us a lot. I would highly recommend that if you want some hand holding when you first get there. If you are thinking toward Bonaire, maybe hire them for the first morning, then you can see how you feel, and probably dive the rest of the week just the two of you. It is definitely great to be able to dive all the time. There are lodging and food options in Bonaire for every budget. Usually you can find a better deal if you don't go with a pre designed package. If you want the most# of dives per vacation dollar, I think Bonaire will be hard to beat. It seems to me that the reef is healthier in Bonaire and the fish population is more diverse (but no shark diving). Never been diving Roatan but been there twice before to snorkel and loved it too.

Deputy Dan makes a good point about making a list of a few places and then seeing how the prices line up when you are ready to book or when a good price comes along. Is Bonaire worth exorbitantly more than Roatan? probably not, but if is the same or slightly higher for Bonaire and you like the dive freedom, 4-6 dives/day (and you havent been there yet), Bonaire is probably worth it. If you are getting a smokin deal for Roatan and you LOVED it, I don't see a harm in returning.

I can't comment much on Asia yet. We are also thinking about it since its supposed to be awesome. But, we may take a few more "baby trips" to Bonaire/Curacao and/or Roatan, step it up and learn some drift diving in Cozumel before we make the trip. Hard to say, but interested in the responses... It sounds like once you go Asia diving the Caribbean shines a little less brightly....

When you say "take a DM" how would that work? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but most dive operations in Roatan were running boats in small groups always with a DM guiding the gang. From what I've gathered people are renting trucks in Bonaire and diving on their own - I haven't seen much reference to a single dive OP preferred above another as people seem to rely strictly on their personal plans and knowledge.

I've seen an organized group advertising a packaged solution leaving from Montreal 2200$ for a single week, excluding meals, including air and 6 boat dives. Compared to roughly the same for 2 weeks in Roatan, including all meals (and very decent ones) with a 10 dives package. The real value seems to be in the "unlimited" shore dives Bonaire offers but considering the food extra + lodging extra, we could probably "unlimited boat dives" in Roatan for the same price :wink:

Just wondering and certainly not dissing Bonaire in any ways, I'm just referring back to my only known experience.

I don't know how it is from Montreal, but vacations in the Dominican Rep are among the cheapest options going out of Toronto. If you stay on the south side (around La Romana or Bayahibe) then you can be sure to get some good diving in. Maybe not as good as Roatan but still pretty awesome. We liked the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus as they have Dressel Drivers on site, which is a very nice dive op. You'll be in a small group with a DM at all times. The Iberostars are definitely among the high end resorts, but I'm sure there's other options in the area. Diving off the north or east shore of the DR is still ok, but nothing compared to the south side.

Some excellent points you are bringing up here, I guess I should have elaborated a bit more on our background and intent.

First off, you are absolutely right when you say that 17 dives brings us nowhere near Advanced. In fact, I kind of laugh when I look at our so called "advanced" certification card. We did the AOW in Roatan because we had the chance to be alone with our instructor and really enjoyed diving and learning with him. By our limited knowledge, he was an excellent "master" which we trusted. That and we did not want to be limited by not having it knowing that some more local dive OPs request it simply for the sake of you having it (and possibly "Up sell" you to it if you don't).

All this to say, trust me, we are very humble about our status and do not consider ourselves even remotely advanced.

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Shop where I trained encouraged diving as much as possible, as soon as possible after training, to practice the skills learned, as soon as possible after training. I have also seem some 'experienced' divers and had the mis-fortune of diving with a couple of them, that totally scared me. In one case, I suffered a bout of vertigo ( 42F cold water entered under one side of my hood and chilled my ear), spewed through my reg (DO NOT remove the reg from your mouth until after) and my 'buddy' with years of diving continued blithely on his way. Another buddy pair observed and assisted. This was at a 'shop' weekend, where other divers were doing training dives (my wife was doing her AOW, while some of us certified divers were diving for fun. As such there was a sore captain checking everyone in and out and she read him the riot act, then got the head instructor (who's also a PADI Course Director) involved.

Check your area for scuba clubs. You may find one with pool access over the winter. A local shop (to me) has a monthly pool dive in the winter and this club Ontario Underwater Explorers Scuba Club has a weekly pool session. I joined and went the first winter after I certified and it was well worth it. Stopped, as the drive home was almost an hour and work the next day was rough.

Lots of good suggestions already posted.

You do not really need to worry too much about diving without a DM when considering Caribbean vacation dives. Most are very similar to your Roatan experience. Every (many, most, all) operations offering boat dives also include a dive guide. In fact you will soon learn that most places enforce "dive with the DM" rules. Many do not allow you to wonder off with your buddy.

We did that for several trips until we got tired of olympic swim herd diving on cattle boats. We now only go to places where we can dive our own profile without being forced to follow the dive guide. This has crossed some places off the list.

I suggest you get a few more Caribbean trips in before you head to the Pacific. The long travel times and large expense mean that you need to be very sure of what you want and expect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom