Drift diving, where are some good places to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fateo66

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What are some of the top spots to go drift diving? I've been to Cozumel and the diving was great, where else is there some nice fun dives?

Pretty much in any area close to or in an ocean, in any river or tidal current?

We did some great drift dives up at God's Pocket a week ago!

But I suspect you're thinking about warm water . . . we did a lot of drift diving in Bunaken, in Indonesia. Some of it was gentle and some of it was pretty wild. We also did some drift dives on the reefs in the Red Sea. Anyplace where you have current and walls will have drifts. But we also did some very fun drift diving off West Palm Beach in Florida, over reef structure. The Gulf Stream blows you right along!

I suppose some of the most hard-core drift-diving you can get would be Saltstraumen in Northern Norway.
This is the most powerful maelstrom in the world, and the local diveshop regularly hosts dives.
You need to be proficient in a drysuit, with excellent buoyancy.
You can even get a PADI Maelstrom Diver specialty :D

And if you decide to go without a guide you can most definetly die :p

Turks & Caicos, the Bahamas Outer Islands, surprisingly St Thomas off the East End (shallow though) all are places we've done multiple drift dives. Anywhere there's a deep wall/trench nearby seems to be likely. Superman's Flight off St Lucia sounds like an option also but I've never been there. You can also drift the Backwall off Molokini - it's often a live drop/pickup also. Many sites off West Lanai are also drift dives. Lahaina Divers does them weekly but they'll want to see an Advanced card.

Tipuata Pass Rangiroa French Polynesia........about as good as it gets :)

We did a few fun drift dives off Bonaire and Klien Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom