Panama or Colombia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClaireNYC

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi folks,
I am new to scuba diving. I got Open Water certified in Utila last summer and have been itching to go diving again...summer is best for me as I am a teacher. My boyfriend has agreed to go to Central America (he wants to go to Panama and Costa Rica) with me for 2 weeks, but as I have more time off I am planning to go down 2 weeks ahead of him. I am on a backpacker's budget (with a splurge here and there--even cheap scuba diving adds up), so I was thinking of doing Bocas del Toro for a week or two, getting practice diving and also taking Spanish lessons (my college Spanish is so-so...I can survive on my own, but I'd like to actually have conversations!).

My concern is that I've read that visibility is not so great in Bocas in July (plus the reef is damaged due to heavy traffic). Since I am new, probably all scuba diving will still seem magical to me, but I've thought about starting in Cartagena, Colombia, and diving in the Islas del Rosario. I've read that visibility is great in July. Then I could take a boat from Cartagena to Panama and work my way up.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Claire

Have you been to central america before? Do you know what to expect? IMO, I don't recommend anyone travel alone.

We were in Bocas four years ago. I was nice (for rustic) but I'm not sure I'd want to spend more than a few days there. Panama has a lot of ex-pats living there and lots of locals speak english enough to work with you if your spanish falters.

Good luck.

Trips and Local Marketplace... Central America

Claire - I really think you need to sit down and rethink this whole idea. JUST MY OPINION, but I don't think you are being realistic. You are looking at diving in an area that does not specialize in diving, so rental equipment may be old or never serviced, looking for "cheap" and you are risking your life. You are new to diving so let me give some advice..... don't do it. Go to an area that is more of a DIVE destination, and you can still have a great time on a budget.
I would recommend looking at Cozumel or Playa del Carmen. You will get some of that same Central American atmosphere, but not be risking your life.
Once you get a few hundred dives under your belt, then you can experiment with remote locations and uncertain dive availability.

check out:
Diving Playa Del Carmen, Dive Center, Cenotes, Tech and full Cave diving
Dive Center Cyan Ha, Playa del Carmen's original PADI dive shop, scuba diving, cenoten diving, snorkeling and watersports Playa del Carmen Mexico
Cozumel Diving with Aqua Safari
Hidden Worlds - Cenote Adventure Park, Riviera Maya Excursions, Zip Lines, Things to Do in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, Mexico | Rainforest Adventures

just some examples that may fit your budget, and some adventure activities to see the area.

Insta-gator.
I went to Central America last sumer. I traveled to Guatemala and Honduras (where I learned to scuba dive). I'm used to rustic conditions! I was with friends in Guatemala, and then I went to Honduras by myself, but I met and joined up with other travelers there.

Thanks so much for your input!

---------- Post added May 16th, 2013 at 12:20 PM ----------

robint,

Thanks for the advice. I try to do my research and only take recommendations from trusted sources anytime I do something risky, but I also had forgotten that this activity is dangerous. I had such a good time on my first 6 dives that I might not be thinking rationally. I am still a total novice! Also I admit I am a sucker for (non-diving) travel to remote places. I will take a look at Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. Maybe I can dip back into Central America for some other adventures.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2013 at 03:08 PM ----------

Hey thanks so much for those links! Those are much more affordable than I would have thought!

Cozumel & playa Carmen hardly have a Central American feel, they're totally north Americanized. Someone who has enjoyed Guatemala & Honduras hardly seems the package tourist type.
I would definitely not recommend bocos in panama, have you considered the corn islands? will probably remind you of utila but less tourists.

The Rosarios were not inexpensive at all. Think that excursion would be outside your budget. Consider Belize.

Bocas del Toro seems like a good option for you but for the possible disadvantages you mentioned. But it does have the kind of backpacker atmosphere you experienced in Honduras and Guatemala. However, with any of those destinations, you will probably not find diving to be as inexpensive as it was on Utila. Utila, as you know, lives and breathes diving, attracts the young backpacker set, and the competition keeps prices low.

I think the comments voicing concern for your safety are charming. People don't realize that Central America is crawling with young backpackers from America, Europe and beyond, both men and women, many traveling on their own and having a great time. I was one once. <sigh>

For a future trip, consider Belize, specifically that backpacker haven known as Caye Caulker (or Caye Slacker, as some say). You will love it.

[edit: Chilly beat me to the Belize recommendation, I see]

I'm not much help on price since I travelled to both Panama and Colombia onboard a Navy ship but having made dives from both coasts of Panama and from Cartagena the Colombian dives were my favorites. I also thought that Cartagena was one of the best places I visited during my 20 years in the military.

Received a promotional email from the hotel where we stayed in Bocas del Toro. May be worthless to you, maybe not. Palma Royale is the nicest hotel in Bocas.

is offering 20% off the Deluxe, Double, and Penthouse Suites for reservations made in June!
Please see this link for details, photos, and rates
http://palmaroyale.com/suites.htm
Enter promo code 4444 when making the reservation to receive your discount.

I think you'd quite like Bocas. I had an injury when there so can't speak to the diving but there were other divers going out every day. Have heard viz is not all that.

Yah, Caye Caulker, Placencia, Hopkins, and of course, San Pedro, all dive locales in Belize. Inland, ziplines, cave tubing, cave adventure ie ATM Cave, Mayan ruins. Country has it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom