Grand Cayman or Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubane1?

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning a trip for late January, early February. Two divers and one non-diver. Wants include: easy access to dive ops, good snorkeling, nice beach (for the non-diver), warmest water possible this time of year, good visibility. Curacao seems a bit harder to get to as far as flight options go. Grand Cayman I hear is very expensive. Would there be much of a cost savings in Curacao or is the extra travel not worth the savings? Which would you recommend? And what area of the island would you stay? We prefer condos so we can cook some of our own meals. Any advice is welcome!

From my limited, non-diving experience, I think Grand Cayman has better snorkeling opportunities (we weren't yet divers when we visited Grand Cayman). I bet it would be a lot cheaper overall to do Curacao, though, and there is snorkeling there, I just wasn't that impressed with my day snorkeling there (on the way home from diving Bonaire), but we did see turtles. The beaches out in Westpunt, Curacao are stunning. From what I have read on here - If the dive freedom is similar to Bonaire (which I hear it is) then from a dive standpoint I would choose Curacao if thats what you like. I think if you want more valet service/boat diving - then Grand Cayman. Not sure how the airfare prices are for you for Bonaire, but the snorkeling there is much better for the non -diver, but you wouldn't get the nice beaches (there are very few in Bonaire).

Hopefully some of the more experienced folks will weigh in with advice about specific locations to stay/condos.

I've been to both and am heading back to Grand Cayman next week. Access to dive ops: Cayman probably wins here. They are both set up so that you (mostly) need to stay with one op. Curacao gives you the dive-where-you-like option to a greater extent IMO. If you say "access to shore dive sites, Curacao wins. They are hard to get to but there seem to be more choices along the island. Good snorkeling: Cayman probably wins here. Near the hotels is good in Curacao, Cayman has Devils Grotto area and some others that are exceptional. Nice beach: You can't beat the sand or service on seven mile beach in GC. The water in cayman is 85 degrees right now. I found Curacao to be a bit colder. Viz: Both are the same IMO, perhaps a bit more in Cayman. Flights: Cayman seems easier to get flights and less expensive right now but that depends on how you book. Cost of stay: I definitely found Curacao to be less expensive to stay. It does depend on where you are though. I am on 7 mile beach this trip to GC and the stay is more than twice the flight cost. It may be a wash honestly. Where to stay: On GC, you need to be near 7 Mile Beach. I stayed at Sunset house the first trip and that was awesome. On curacao, I stayed up north which was far from town but I had a car because I was doing shore dives. I would probably recommend staying in town at one of the big hotels. It's closer to the night life and shopping. If you want cheap accommodations, I think it is more likely on Curacao. Diving: You didn't mention diving and I can tell you it is different. Cayman - walls, lots of fish, can be deep, some wrecks, competition from dive ops. Curacao - many shore dives, colder water, sloping ledges and double reefs, more independence and choices, one cool wreck. Hope this helps. PM me if you want details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom