Expensive travel to cheap dive destinations ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was calculating my air miles and it seems like same time next year I will have enough air miles to fly anywhere in the world but will be on a budget when I land there. Makes sense? Can anyone recommend a dive destination anywhere in the world where it is more expensive to get to but very cheap to dive when you actually do land there? Open to liveaboards too. Thanks.

We are using FF miles to fly to Roatan this summer. Bonaire would be another good choice since you are saving the cost of airfare.

Rotan or truk

We are using FF miles to fly to Roatan this summer. Bonaire would be another good choice since you are saving the cost of airfare.

I thought about that but it turned out that Bonaire was a relatively cheaper flight from where I live. It will not utilize all the miles and will leave me with less miles for farther away destinations. I was looking towards more mile consuming destinations like Egypt and Far East where I know I was unlikely to venture had it not been for the free ticket :D

You are looking for the Red Sea or the Maldives. Quite inexpensive destinations but expensive to get there. It's the back yard for divers in the UK, and you'll find accommodations ranging from backpackers to 5 stars including liveaboards.

Look into the Phillipines or Thailand - liveaboards also.

Last edited:
Look at Asia. Airfare from the US is not cheap (flights to Europe can be had a half the cost), but the cost once you are there is very reasonable. Not like the old days reasonable when the dollar was worth something, but still good.

Philippine destinations to consider - Cebu (Moalboal, Malapascua Island), Dumaguete, Puerto Galera, Anilao, Subic Bay. A lot of choices to look at.

Indonesia, expensive to get to from America, but cheapish when your there, Komodo is my fav place there, but i havent been around the whole country yet, as its so big!!!!!!

I like to go far on miles, and save long enough for bus/first class. I have used AA miles to fly to Manila twice on Cathay, and Anilao can be done nicely for $175/day total. Looking at Indo. for next trip- almost there on miles!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom