Is scuba diving addiction worth being poor all the time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PartyStar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, I am in my fifth year of this awesome fun adventuresome addiction. Got all my gear, a boat and just enough money to dive somewhere exotic every year. My dive buddy now has to w-o-r-k. That was the story when I lived near a great reef. So I was solo diving early on without drama yet knowing it was not the right thing to do. Removed myself from the tourist attraction and saving big money for group travels with different dive shops who put me with a new buddy. Have an upcoming trip soon which I meticulously planned during the hard cold winter under my happy light and it helped get me thru the season. Saved money, went without going out to dinner, decided to not buy a new car as the high mileage ones are still rolling and being maintained. What is scary is that if there was an emergency, all my extra cash is invested in scuba dive trips. How selfish! Today, after sleeping on it, I think the money would make me a lot happier sitting in the safe than traveling for a few measly dives which never seem to be enough! I have put myself in danger by solo shore diving where I was almost abducted, been in a third world hospital from toxic black mold which seems to be in every scuba destination hotel room and instead of saving for my retirement or buying a life insurance policy I am seventy feet underwater for not enough time! Satiated? Never. At least when you go out for a fancy dinner, you are full for a while. When you buy that new car, you enjoy it for a long time and it smells wonderful. Once I bought a pricy piece of jewelry which I had longed for many years and after I put it on I did not like it. It was bulky, uncomfortable and attracted unwanted attention. Sure wish scuba diving addiction felt like that piece of jewelry… Sure am happy my child has been going to Community College and is almost finished! I wonder is anyone else is in the same boat. Is this worth it?

Depends...
Where do you live? If you are only getting to dive a few times per year, and being poor the entire rest of the year for those few dives, then no, it is not worth it. But, if you are like me and get to dive a few times per week... Getting to dive makes everything else in my world okay to deal with.

But, If I were only diving twice a year. I'd sell this 30k worth of dive gear and have a nice shiny corvette tomorrow.

My advice... Move to where diving is affordable. Then dive every week.

For me absolutely. I can forgo the garish tropical vacations and continue to dive for under $200 a say once or twice a month in the North Atlantic or $300 a year at Dutch Springs.

Now if I could only stop getting higher certifications I could dive much less expensively.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Your Neighborhood Friendly Candyman,
Timothy P. Lyons

It depends....

We live comfortably, and spend a set amount on dive trips every year. We have at least $50k worth of dive gear in our house. BUT... if we didn't dive, we would have taken up some other sport and spent money on it. At least with diving we are traveling (which is a passion for both of us), exploring new cultures (another passion), getting lots of exercise (another passion), and spending quality time together (which is a foundation of a good marriage, we just celebrated our 28th anniversary).

A vacation sitting on beach, reading a book --- has never happened in my life!

robin

I haven't regretted a dime. Perhaps later in life whilst living in my cardboard box and pushing around my grocery cart with the wobbley wheel picking up the good trash, I'll feel differently. Nah. I've got to dive now.

Maybe the dive vacations you are picking are too expensive? There are ways to do the vacations on the cheaper. If indeed you are picking packages that you have to skimp and starve for, then let's see if we can't put our collective heads together and come up with some better deals for you. Also now that your kids will be earning livings, for birthdays, Xmas and and other special days their gifts to you should always be cash for your diving trips, gift certificates at dive shops or hey even contributions to airfares. :)

...A vacation sitting on beach, reading a book --- has never happened in my life!

robin

Ditto...just sitting in an exotic location seems to me to be a waste.

I don't dislike those people that enjoy this type of relaxation, it's just not for me; I have to be doing something, meeting new people or sample new cultures. Diving seems to fill that bill for me nicely. :)

Oh yeah and gather up your jewelry and sell it. Can't wear it diving anyway. :)

What do you need life insurance for? Your child is grown.

There is a way to dive cheaply.
I dive locally. I've managed to convince myself that diving in cold murky water is just as good as diving in a tropical bathtub somewhere.
I enjoy diving so much that to me it really doesn't matter where I dive just as long as I get to do it.
I've got my gear down to the bare bones of what is really required.
I service my own gear so that is money saved.
I enjoy spearfishing and that puts food on the table and also reminds me of the bonuses of diving locally.
Yeah, I dream about going off to some far away tropical paradise but I realize I am logistically challenged and also have a non diving wife who hates diving so I make the best out of what I have.

Now if you ever get into Vintage gear that is a whole other addiction that is the toughest to deal with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom