Protecting cash while diving...what do you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to Roatan and likely will be in a hotel without a safe and will have cash. The ATM machines down there are not great I hear. So I will carry the cash with me at most times, however what do you do when you're diving and have no protection over your stuff? I'm not an expert diver by any means, only vacation diver, and i'm used to hotels with safes and not carrying a lot on me. Suggestions?

There are a variety of small waterproof pouches and cases for cash. I've used the aLOKSAK quite a bit, but they are not really reliably waterproof that I've found. On the other hand, wet bills aren't that much of a problem.

Witz from LeisurePro.com

One of these should keep it dry. I've used the same one for about the last 7 years - no leaks. The medium is about an inch thick. Not sure I'd trust one with my phone though although people do.

Some places - like Roatan or Bonaire, I wear it around my neck most of the time even when not diving.

Cash, at least the US version, is waterproof per se.

Putting it in a waterproof device is redundant and will cause buoyancy problems for "non expert divers".

Get it wet, spend it wet. They've seen it before.

i've kept it on me, wet money is still good and i guess people understand when you're in a diving location

thanks gang...okay...I just hate to leave hundreds of dollars in bag on the boat...or definitely not in my room.

Often hotels without safes in each room will have an office safe where they will keep things for you. I've seen places use some simple system to keep a record of how much is there, like put stuff in a sealed envelope with the amount written you sign across the flap. It's a nuisance over a room safe but may be an option where you're staying.

I don't usually carry lots of cash on a boat, but it's not something I'd worry too much about. There's hopefully always a DM or captain staying on the boat and I've never been anywhere that I'm worried about them pilfering my stuff. (Don't sound like folks I'd want to be diving with.) And as said, cash can get wet, and in a diving spot especially they will still be perfectly happy to take it.

Hotel without Room safe? Never book one if you can help it... whatevers in my wallet I Just decide to trust the boat crew with, since I have no choice. If anything got stolen it can't have been more than a 1000 baht or peso...although I never counted... thanks for reminding me to count before and after, the next time around though.. you just made me paranoid.

Sent from my GT-N7000

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom