Do your loved ones have your DAN & other info when you travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
If I am critically hurt, become very ill, or die while traveling, I know that my DAN membership, DAN dive insurance, and Trip insurance all offer lots of help and funds - but someone has to request all of that. I wear a dog tag ID anytime I leave my house and wear a DAN Tag on my BC hoping that whoever finds me in need might know to call, but that just does not always happen. The US Consulate will contact next of kin, but they have no funds to help - so I always make sure my daughter has plenty of my info, along with a copy of my passport, my detailed plans, my will, my If-I-Die letter, and anything else I think may be helpful.

The US State Department encourages Americans to register trips at their site, and I have a few times, but very few. I doubt that many of us do. One link I give on my trip description email to my daughter tells what the Consulate will attempt to do, and can't do. See Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad

DAN can't help unless asked so I make sure she has all my info and their contact numbers, encouraging her to call them and ask then what they can do. I get the idea that most divers know about DAN Dive Insurance, but many fail to notice DAN Membership benefits like Traveler Assist! There are a number of benefits possible and it's good to keep these in mind as well as advise loved ones. See Divers Alert Network

Among those, a couple of very important ones...
Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation
"Covers up to a maximum of $100,000 per person (if a Family Membership) for an emergency evacuation, or medically necessary repatriation. I've known two divers who would have died without that benefit."
Repatriation of Remains
"If you or a covered family member dies while traveling, DAN TravelAssist will arrange and pay, up to the policy limit, for all costs associated with the return of your remains." I talked to a lady tonight who has no means to return her dead father from Bonaire, but had never heard of DAN. I suggested that he may well have been a member and it'd be worth a call in the morning to ask. I also gave her Dive Assure's number in case he was a member there. I do not know what their benefits are but I am sure they also provide great help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom