Need help on deciding flights to and from liveaboard.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hhsuey

Registered
Reaction score
A noob precautionary question for you guys. I have set up a 3 day 2 night liveaboard that leaves from and returns in Labuan Bajo, Indonesia. Any advice on scheduling my flights? I want thinking of setting up a flight the afternoon before so I could get good rest for the early start on the first day of the liveaboard. I want to limit my time in Labuan Bajo but I want to space out my flight after so to avoid dcs. If I do 3 dives on the last day is it okay if I take a return flight the following day in the afternoon (to bali)? Just double checking whether I need to do anything different. Thanks

---------- Post added July 18th, 2013 at 07:46 PM ----------

Meant leaves from bali to lbj, and returns to bali.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Arriving the day before is safer. Flights get canceled at times so if you have to be there on Day-1, arrive on Day-0. Then if flight plans go to hell, you have time to fix the problems.

DAN suggests 18 hours after the last dive before flying. It takes me that long to dry & pack my gear then get to the airport early. Some old thinkers still suggest 24 hours but studies disagree - no benefit.

Reactions: Doc
A lot can happen with air travel. I prefer to arrive earlier in the week, get in some non-dive touristing and acclimate to the timezone. That way when you do board your boat you'll be fresh and more able to appreciate the uniqueness of the experience without that pesky jetlag (also gives you time for your incompetent, unfriendly airline of choice to locate your lost belongings and deliver them to your hotel before you set sail).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom