Volunteer Diving Abroad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoshGodd

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

Im currently having a year out, until September 2014, and would be very interested in some kind of marine conservation work volunteering abroad. The courses I have looked at seem to be quite expensive (£1000's) and i was wondering if anyone knew of any 'free' or minimal cost scuba diving abroad?

Im currently an advanced open water diver

thanks

Nearly all such programs require you to at least take care of your own travel expenses. Most require you to have your own basic scuba gear (tanks and lead excepted).

You are in a market where employers get to select their "volunteers". The majority of eco-volunteer work can be more aptly characterized as eco-vacation work. The programs use the fees generated from their volunteers/customers to help subsidize their activities. Heck, many outfits are operated as for-profit businesses, just "green" ones (more or less).

I would recommend Greenforce. For what you get, it's one of the most affordable programs. And they have a very good reputation.
GreenFORCE Home

Hi,

Im currently having a year out, until September 2014, and would be very interested in some kind of marine conservation work volunteering abroad. The courses I have looked at seem to be quite expensive (£1000's) and i was wondering if anyone knew of any 'free' or minimal cost scuba diving abroad?

Im currently an advanced open water diver

thanks

There are at least 2 marine conservation organizations in Key Largo, FL that have volunteer interns to help with their programs.
REEF.org REEF Marine Conservation Internship - Application Information | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)
This internship includes small compensation by including housing. You will have a variety of conservation activities including fish counts and lionfish derbies.

CoralRestoration.org also uses volunteer interns. http://www.coralrestoration.org/get-involved/internships/

Netdoc and I spend alot of time volunteering with both of these organizations and working with their staff and interns.

Good luck and let me know if come to the FL Keys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom