travelling with dive lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nimoh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was perusing the TSA website checking for any updates since my last dive trip, and was linked to the FAA website for additional restrictions. I came upon this, and although I always pack my dive lights in carry on (mostly as a precaution against damage), I didn't know that the FAA explicitly restricts them.

faa.jpg

Interesting and good to know. I planned on carrying mine on, but didn't know it was a necessity.

Interesting. Never seen this before and I always carry my dive lights on. Never been questioned. I presume disconnecting the power means batteries should be removed? Normally carry them with batteries in place. The only thing that regularly causes consternation at security is my camera strobes, which I do carry with the power "disconnected." I have seen them on the xray machine and they do look rather sinister.

I wonder if size matters. I'll pause a moment now so everyone can get all the possible jokes out of their system. :D

Anyway, I traveled internationally in June 2013 with a light in my carry on and had no issues. It isn't the boheameth in the TSA picture, it's a TUSA 300, maybe that was the difference.

I see this is dated 2008 so not a new thing, and doesn't actually make sense (like a lot of this stuff.) Once you have removed the batteries, it's no longer a heat producing item...

I have always put all lights in checked. I remove the batteries and keep them in plastic cases - sometimes in checked and sometimes carry-on depending which way the TSA winds seem to be blowing. I also tend to split them among bags. Even though I know various things some people do like flipping a battery or sticking a piece of cardboard or tape in there should do the job, it may not be obvious on xray that they can't turn on.

Mine (Sola 1200s) have an airplane travel mode but I've never used it on any of my travels. Always keep them and my camera, housing and dive computers in my carry on.

My canister is my bigger than the one pictured, however, I am able to put in the battery backwards so that contacts are not made.

I did notice that it said 2008 (which is why I included it in the screenshot), I just didn't know about this previously, and as it turns out I have been accidentally compliant all along :)

I see this is dated 2008 so not a new thing, and doesn't actually make sense (like a lot of this stuff.) Once you have removed the batteries, it's no longer a heat producing item...

I have always put all lights in checked. I remove the batteries and keep them in plastic cases - sometimes in checked and sometimes carry-on depending which way the TSA winds seem to be blowing. I also tend to split them among bags. Even though I know various things some people do like flipping a battery or sticking a piece of cardboard or tape in there should do the job, it may not be obvious on xray that they can't turn on.
I carry on all I can, but have never carried my dive lights on. Always in checked bags.

I do always remove the batteries and shudder that some leave them in. :eek: LEDs don't produce much heat but others certainly do. My batteries are always safely packed, in checked bags - lithiums included. You'll loose fewer that way. The TSA reg says they cannot be loose: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices | Transportation Security Administration

Always travel with my strobes (Ikelite) in carry on. Have only had an issue once - Hong Kong - waited at screening for almost an hour while they got approval from the carrier to let me through. 2008 as I recall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom