Holiday Ideas February-May 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnoAU

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

I'm after some holiday ideas for February-May next year (2014) for 2 weeks. I'm thinking somewhere in South East Asia, but open to other suggestions, we'd like somewhere that offers some top side entertainment/exploring as well as being able to do a few dives.

The group will consist of 4 adults and 1 child (2 going on 3 years old).

It's likely that 1 couple (the parents) will have their AOW, but not a huge number of dives under there belt. The other couple both have OW but one person is not very comfortable in the water and may choose to babysit instead, however we'd like to plan for all Adults to get some diving in, which means we would need to have someone look after the child.

Thanks for your help.

Johno

What kind of top side entertainment are you looking for?

Not girlie bars :wink:

It would have to be family/2yo friendly, e.g. relaxing on a nice beach, snorkeling, sailing, viewing wildlife, local markets, cafe's, etc.

I represent Naigani Island resort in Fiji. It fits the majority of what you are looking for. Great diving snorkeling, fishing, family friendly, pool with a waterslide and a swim up bar, kayak around the whole island in about 45 minutes to an hour and singing in the bar/restaurant at night. Outings to Levuka the old capitol where there are a lot of shops and a neat little museum. Great picnic beach available and a tour of the small village on the island. A trip to Dolphin Reef or Canibal cave or Canabuli bay.

But no markets or anything like that on the island, only during the trip to Levuka.

Maybe one week on Naigani and the other at Fiji Palms on Pacific Harbour? Pacific Harbour has the shops and restaurants and a couple of different shows at that cultural center. There is a famous shark dive there in Bega Lagoon, if you dont object to that kind of thing, and there are lots of different thing available like personal water craft you can rent and I believe there may be zip lines and hiking etc etc. Fiji Palms is a condo style resort with full kitchens, air conditioning, TV and all the comforts of home.

The more I think about it, a week each place would probably be just the ticket four your group.

Also keen to dive Fiji (on the list) but I see many families enjoying Thailand with kids - avoid Phuket and look at Krabi - Air Asia does a direct flight connection from KL for cheap flights. Very kid friendly and lots of topside stuff to do (elephant treks, waterfalls, hot springs etc) and safe soi food. Diving out of Krabi gives you various options including Phi Phi Islands and the local islands and of course the fabulous Railay Beach is right there for a day trip - you could even try your hand at rock climbing there. Plenty of markets and shops without being malls and bars everywhere.

Fiji scuba diving is hard to beat for divers looking for color and schooling fish. Throw in some sharks, rays and schooling pelagics as icing on the cake. While I can't guarantee child care with all resorts the three I've worked for in Fiji have all been able to accommodate day sitters so the parents can play. By staying on the main island of Viti Levu allows you to save some hassle (and money) on flights to outer islands. For your divers who may be nervous to lack some experience just double check with your dive resort that they offer small dive groups for more individualized in-water attention. Our dive model features a max of 6 divers per dive guide and is often less depending on the situation.

Thailand was nice for diving but I was overwhelmed with the number of dive shops and divers at the dive sites. The better dive sites are long day boat rides away or better yet done by liveaboards into the Similan Islands, Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Richelieu Rock, etc. The Thailand reefs were really beat up but the amount of fish was pretty awesome. Lots of schooling glass fish. Good luck with your trip planning.

Fiji scuba diving is hard to beat for divers looking for color and schooling fish. Throw in some sharks, rays and schooling pelagics as icing on the cake. While I can't guarantee child care with all resorts the three I've worked for in Fiji have all been able to accommodate day sitters so the parents can play. By staying on the main island of Viti Levu allows you to save some hassle (and money) on flights to outer islands. For your divers who may be nervous to lack some experience just double check with your dive resort that they offer small dive groups for more individualized in-water attention. Our dive model features a max of 6 divers per dive guide and is often less depending on the situation.

Thailand was nice for diving but I was overwhelmed with the number of dive shops and divers at the dive sites. The better dive sites are long day boat rides away or better yet done by liveaboards into the Similan Islands, Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Richelieu Rock, etc. The Thailand reefs were really beat up but the amount of fish was pretty awesome. Lots of schooling glass fish. Good luck with your trip planning.
Totally agree regards both awesome diving in Fiji and the comments re Thailand. I wouldn't go back to Thailand but have a third trip to Fiji booked for October. Sadly not back to Wananavu as our dates don't work but can highly recommend both resort and the dive shop.

We'll miss you Heg but it sounds like you guys are trying to visit in April now? Hopefully those dates work out as we're starting to see quite a bit of bookings for early next year. But we're looking forward to seeing you guys again. Vicky was secretly happy the November dates didn't work since she was going to be in the US for the DEMA dive show and would have missed you.

Reactions: Heg
We'll miss you Heg but it sounds like you guys are trying to visit in April now? Hopefully those dates work out as we're starting to see quite a bit of bookings for early next year. But we're looking forward to seeing you guys again. Vicky was secretly happy the November dates didn't work since she was going to be in the US for the DEMA dive show and would have missed you.

I'm onto it! :admin: Just need to avoid the Easter madness

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom