Hawai Is it better than the Caribbean ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would you tell me how good is diving in Hawai. Is it better than the Caribbean?

Is it worthy to fly from an European country, fly during several hours to dive in Hawai? What is the best Hawaian island?

It has been a number of years since I spent a lot of time in Hawaii. Hawaiian diving is good, like Caribbean diving. I wouldn't describe it as excellent or top notch or any of the other marketing descriptions us dive operators use, but it's good. The water is a little chilly for me, but I'm kind of wimpy that way. If I were flying all the way to Hawaii, I'd keep going to any of the Micronesian islands, where I learned to dive, or any of the Polynesian islands. Why the fascination with Hawaii when you have the Red Sea, Maldives, Indonesia so close?

I dived in Hawaii for 20 years. For what you'll see as a tourist, skip the effort unless it's part of a grander scheme.

I dove in Kauai last year and enjoyed it just as much as Grand Cayman. It was completely different. Instead of big bright corals we were swimming in and around lava tubes. The marine life was rich with a lot of endemic species. We had over 80' viz so that was not an issue. I enjoyed the uniqueness of the lava tubes. Saw lots of white tips, turtles, and octopus.

The water is a little cooler but not uncomfortable. Lastly coming up from a dive and seeing those mountains is pretty spectacular.

Best thing, IMHO, about Hawaii is topside culture and scenery. Hiking to waterfalls and volcanoes, jungles, and food are really really great. Diving is okay, no pretty coral, sea fans, sponges, etc. that make Caribbean diving so wonderful. Fishlife in Hawaii is interesting with lots of fish that are only found there. Lots of turtles. I would not go all the way there for just diving....

Hawaii and Caribbean diving are very different. More color in the Caribbean, much more coral, also soft corals. Hawaii is more rocky substrate and a little hard coral, less color, unique fish because it's so isolated, more big animals, and on average cooler.

I've preferred my average Caribbean dives over my average Hawaiian dives. On the other hand, I've done more dives in Hawaii that are individually memorable, because there was something unique about them. Such as lots of sharks, or lots of huge turtles, lots of mantas, interesting volcanic formations, diving with whales, my husband beating off a oceanic whitetip shark with his camera...but of course not all dives are like that.

But I wouldn't travel to either from Europe for the diving, when there are so many better places to dive that you can get to for the same effort or less. Hawaii topside is a beautiful and interesting place though. It might be worth going for that, and do some diving while you're there. (IMO most Caribbean dive destinations are not all that interesting on land, except maybe Belize.)

I invite you to come get the best of both worlds with us here in St.Vincent. Thriving reefs due to the lack of tourist traffic. Rainforest, waterfalls, a live volcano you can hike, easy day trips island hopping. Swim with the turtles in a marine sanctuary or go bird watching for wild parrots in the rainforest. They call it "Tahiti of the Caribbean". Even better is the overall cost because the exchange rate is so much better. The overall cost of things is MUCH less than Hawaii. Amazing spot in the Caribbean that for many years has been reserved by cost for the rich and famous, we have now made affordable. The best reefs in the Caribbean. Whales come through twice a year. Book to BGI and then go to Liat Airlines directly and book the direct jump flight over to SVD and you'll save even more. Find us on our website or youtube for lots more info. on St.Vincent. Truly a "hidden gem".

I invite you to come get the best of both worlds with us here in St.Vincent. Thriving reefs due to the lack of tourist traffic. Rainforest, waterfalls, a live volcano you can hike, easy day trips island hopping. Swim with the turtles in a marine sanctuary or go bird watching for wild parrots in the rainforest. They call it "Tahiti of the Caribbean". Even better is the overall cost because the exchange rate is so much better. The overall cost of things is MUCH less than Hawaii. Amazing spot in the Caribbean that for many years has been reserved by cost for the rich and famous, we have now made affordable. The best reefs in the Caribbean. Whales come through twice a year. Book to BGI and then go to Liat Airlines directly and book the direct jump flight over to SVD and you'll save even more. Find us on our website or youtube for lots more info. on St.Vincent. Truly a "hidden gem".

Thanks

Which is the better restaurant? or film? or ...
A lot depends on your interests and tastes.

For years my wife wanted to dive with mantas, but it didn't happen until we came to Hawaii. - Kona, on the big island of Hawaii, might have the most reliable manta diving available.
Another dive that could be done in many parts of the world but for some reason seems to mostly happen in Hawaii is "black water" diving - night dives in way deep water to see pelagics come up from the depths.

If you describe what you like in diving, folks might be better able to steer you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom