student dive vacation where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stein99

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there,
I am considering a dive vacation but I don't really know where to go.
Since im a (poor) student I would like something not too expensive (700 or something for 7 days)
Does anyone know a goods destenation for that?

Another thing is that im only 20 and would like to dive with divers of my age. Are there companys that specializes in student dive vacantiones? my normal buddy is around 32 and that's not bad but its always a bit akward i think.

Also is it a good idea to go alone on a dive vacation? My buddy isn't planning to go on vacation so if i go i go alone but im afraid it will turn out to be no fun alone. (a bit lonely)
Would a dive cruise (if something like this exist) be a good idea?

I would really like some opinions of other divers thanks in advance

Seems it costs $700 a week to just stay home these days. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

If the $700 includes air, you are probably out of luck. One of the cheaper dive destinations is Cozumel Mexico, and just the diving there will cost you $55-$70 a day for 2-tank dives off the boat. You can probably dive cheaper in Bonaire, because it's all (well, mostly) shore diving, so, if you have your own equipment, all you'd pay for is tanks. But it is a BAD idea for most divers, especially a new diver, to make solo dives in a new, unfamiliar location. So unless you have a dive buddy, that's out. I've made numerous solo trips to Cozumel, and you can stay and eat there pretty cheap - lodging for $35 US a night at B&Bs, as low as $24 a night at a few cheap hotels. And you can eat well at local places, like some of the Loncherias where you can get a full lunch, Chips & Salsa, Soup, and an Entree with Rice and Beans, and all the agua fresca you want to drink, for 60-75 Pesos (about $6 US) plus tip. You'll need to watch your pennies, eat local, and walk everywhere (taxi fares will bust your budget ), but it is quite possible to stay for a week for $200 for hotel, $175 for meals (that's a budget of $25 a day - no nice touristy restaurants for you!), and say $325 for 5 days of diving ($55 a day to Dive Operator, $10 a day to tip DM). But that eats up your entire $700 budget, leaving nothing for taxis, alcohol, souvenirs, or any tourist activities, and nothing for air travel.

Where are you? Are you only considering warm water resorts?

If you could drive there, you could easily do a week's vacation diving in Southern California on $700. Or up here in Puget Sound. Or in Monterey. All three are fantastic dive destinations, but they are cold water diving.

thanks everyone for his/her comment,

well im afraid im in the cold icy-no-paradise country called holland (next to belgium for those who not know)
the 700 was flight included but hearing u guys saying i think il raise the budget to 1000 flight included. (i have my own gear but no car)
cold water is no problem if its not lower then 15 grades celcius il do fine
where im planning to travel? well to be honest i have no idea as long as my budget can have it and the country a bit safe (and the people speak a bit english,dutch or german) il survive.

I don't think you'll be able to come anywhere in the Americas with that budget, flight alone would surpass your budget.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have no idea about diving in the Europe/Mediterranean Area. Only area I have even passing knowledge of within your area is in Egypt, and probably NOT a good time to plan a trip to Egypt, Huh?

Stein, I think anything tropical is probably out of your price range, if not for the diving itself, than for the cost of the transportation. But have you thought about anywhere in Europe, where you might be able to make it via train or ferry? I'm thinking either Spain (Malta, Ibiza, other small islands) or possibly Sweden. I have no experience with any diving in Europe, but I'm thinking maybe combine a camping trip with diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom