Dive sites with Mantas and Whale Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimbolaya

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everybody,

my wive and me would like to do a diving / snorkeling holiday this year in October, November or December. We are looking for a place:

a) with high probability to dive with Whale Sharks and Mantas
b) where snorkeling (trips) with Mantas and/or Whale Sharks are also possible (my wife is pregnant so she won't be diving)
c) where there is generally superb snorkeling
d) nice white sandy beaches

Can anyone recommend a place that offers all this? Maybe some island in the Maldives, the Seychelles or the Philippines or such alike?

I tried to find out the Manta and Whale Shark seasons for some islands but I didn't come up with satisfying results, therfore any help is highly appreciated.

Regards, Jan

The only place I've ever snorkeled with Whale Sharks is off Isla Holbox, offshore from Cancun. But the season for Whale Sharks there is July-early September. And they do NOT let you scuba dive with the Whale Sharks - it is snorkeling only. Review the Mexico or Cozumel threads for lots more info. The Snorkeling with Whale Sharks is NOT the same as snorkeling over a reef; those magnificent beasts are constantly moving, and it takes a LOT of effort to keep up with them. It's a real aerobic workout, so unless your pregnant wife is in very good shape, think twice about that. You might well see some Mantas off Cozumel in December, but it's really a hit or miss kind of thing. If you want to increase the odds of seeing Mantas, try Moorea. Many years ago I spent two weeks on Moorea, French Polynesia, and saw Mantas on several dives. That was in January, so I assume they would also be there in December, but you probably ought to check on that. The other plus for Moorea is sharks - lots of them. We didn't do a single dive where we didn't see many Black Tip Reef Sharks, and occasionally also saw Lemon Sharks, and, on just one dive, a Tiger Shark. Lots of Moray Eels, too. While it has been many years (1990, to be precise) since I was there, my impression was that Moorea was a good spot to see lots of larger pelagics. The reef was kind of dead, and the coral and smaller fish populations were not nearly as good as what is available in the Caribbean, like Cozumel, the Caymans, Roatan, etc., but the likelihood of seeing sharks, Mantas, and other larger fish was higher.

Go to the Maldives. You can find mantas and whale sharks there pretty much all year.

South Ari Atoll, Maldives. The closer to the south (Maamigili region), the cheaper the snorkeling will be as fuel is a cost. Nothings guaranteed... but they're there in numbers.

South Ari Atoll, Maldives. The closer to the south (Maamigili region), the cheaper the snorkeling will be as fuel is a cost. Nothings guaranteed... but they're there in numbers.

thanks for your quick replys!

Actually I had already made an enquiry to Eriyadu Island Resort (Kaafu Atoll, North Male Atoll, Maldives) and they told me, that their Manta Season for the North Male Atoll is between December and May whereas they have most Manta encounters in March/April. Eriyadu was recommended in a Diving Magazine because it's supposed to have awesome reefs for snorkelling all arround the island.

Do you by chance know if the Mantas more frequent in the South Ari Atoll then in the North Male Atoll in November/December?

If anybody can recommend a specific resort / island in the South Ari Atoll I'd appreciat that.

Best regards, Jan

@ all thanks, very good information for my current decision process as I'm planning something in October and was also interested in Eriyadu...So keep it comin' for the South....

@ Jan, sorry for xposting but it is so similar to my plans that I couldn't resist.

Cheers

Actually have been to the Maldives quite a few time and saw Manta on most trips and Whale sharks on 2. Best bet though would be Baa Atoll diving on a live-aboard in August. Should be able to see whale sharks and tons of Mantas. Need to book early.

Sounds to me like the op is asking for a little too much...
Plenty of places will tick some of the boxes but none will all.
Bali offers manta encounters while snorkeling all year round including October and has some white sand beaches. Alas, few whale sharks are spotted here...
Maybe reconsider what are the most important criteria.

Also, you said your wife will be pregnant! How many months by then? This may be criterion number one in choosing a holiday destination, way ahead of mantas, whale sharks or even white sand beaches...

Reactions: Doc
Snorkeling with whalesharks = Maamigili Sth Ari.
Snorkeling with mantas = a few places which includes Maamigili Sth Ari.

Snorkeling with both at the same time? The gods must love you- the old and the new.

Sept/Oct more mantas will be in the North-East atolls ie. Male. They tend to head SW around December however they're following the food, which is usually dictated by currents and seasonal winds... which may be a little 'out of season'. I've seen mantas pretty much year round in the Sth Ari, but more often (and in numbers) from Dec-April.

Whale sharks are a lot easier- Maamigili (Sth Ari) year round. However if the weather is rough they're tough to spot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom