1st Dive trip question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave70

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings Divers. I'm really new to this, and have a few questions that are probably really simple.

The wife and I are taking are OW Certs this weekend, and have scheduled a dive trip to Cozumel for next month. It wasn't originally going to be a dive trip, but seemed silly to spend a week in Cozumel and not dive.

However, budget dictates that i can't buy everything at once, so I'm trying to decide rather to make my 1st purchase a reg or a computer. So, the question. :) If i buy a console type-computer that is AI, will the dive shops allow me to connect it to their 1st stage? Same if i were to buy a reg first, will i be allowed to connect their rental computer to my reg?

Just curious how that all works.

Thanks!

dave

Maybe (likely?) not for the first question.

For the second, I would not expect rental computers to feature ai.

If I were you, I'd re-think your purchasing strategy. Here is what my wife and I did. Fins, mask and snorkel, as required. Then, wetsuits. Then, computer, regs and BCD all at once BECAUSE THE PRICE WAS RIGHT. We did a package deal for the latter. I went to a dive shop about 15 mi from my home and they put together a package at a good price. I then went to the LDS about 3 mi from my home and they matched the price. Slightly different models, but equivalent equipment. I also paid in cash. So, the total was over 30% off and no tax. Internet sales sites such as Scuba Toys or Leisure Pro will have packages that are very good financial deals. We bought one for our daughter and had it sent to her directly. No complaints. Whatever your strategy, be patient and do not rush into purchases you may later regret.

If I were you, I'd re-think your purchasing strategy. Here is what my wife and I did. Fins, mask and snorkel, as required. Then, wetsuits. Then, computer, regs and BCD all at once BECAUSE THE PRICE WAS RIGHT. We did a package deal for the latter. I went to a dive shop about 15 mi from my home and they put together a package at a good price. I then went to the LDS about 3 mi from my home and they matched the price. Slightly different models, but equivalent equipment. I also paid in cash. So, the total was over 30% off and no tax. Internet sales sites such as Scuba Toys or Leisure Pro will have packages that are very good financial deals. We bought one for our daughter and had it sent to her directly. No complaints. Whatever your strategy, be patient and do not rush into purchases you may later regret.

I second that, package deals are the way to go, else you end up paying double for all the gear. You could always buy a wrist mount dive computer such as a Suunto D4/6/9i and take that on the trip to give you some more time under water. Why worry about AI on a holiday? It's just a fancy feature! Use your SPG!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Being this is your first trip, and to a destination that I try to discourage my students going to on their first dives after cert, I would not buy anything except your mask, fins, boots and a 3 mil suit. Use the tables or the ops rental computers if they offer them. You are likely to be task loaded enough with drift diving and dealing with currents that it's not a good time to try and deal with new gear of your own unless you are able to get a few dives in locally and learn how to use it. You will be too busy coming up with your own dive plan for you and your wife in addition to what the guides do. Because if they start doing stuff outside your limits, skill, or experience you will have to fall back on your own plans. You should have been trained to do this. Just rent all the gear, insure it's safe and in good workin order and do some nice, easy, shallow dives. Buy gear when you get back.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Imorin. I probably should have mentioned the wife and i already have the usual mask, fins, snorkels, wetsuits, and boots - as there isn't much diving to be had in our immediate area i was waiting on the BCD for a while. Our local dive shop is offering us a really good price as new divers/students, but i still need to split up the purchase of the computer and reg (or risk several weeks of sleeping in the dog house). The computer being recommended by the DS is a Zoop 2 in console configuration. Seems silly to take a console computer on vacation and ask them to connect it to their 1st stage.....or is it?

Why don't you buy a reasonable wrist computer? Then you don't have the problem of putting it on somebody else's regulator, and you will have your dive log and profiles from the beginning (if you buy one you can download to your computer). Any rental regulator will have a pressure gauge on it, or should -- and I'm sure in Cozumel, it will.

Edited to add . . . the Zoop is available in wrist computer form, and is reasonably priced.

A Zoop is not an air integrated computer. It's a computer mounted in a 2 gauge console with a pressure gauge. So save the hassle and buy it as a wristmount. If you want a pressure gauge for your own reg later, you can buy any number of them reasonably. Including some that also have a depth gauge so you have redundancy if your Zoop fails mid-dive. Batteries do run out at odd moments. I'm a big fan of the smaller gauges like the Tusa or ScubaPro/Uwatec, the hose stiffness allows for more flexibility in keeping it tight against your BC yet functional with the right clip/retractor.

You'll have to at least double that price to get something AI in a wristmount - some even charge extra for the transmitter. That's probably optimal for streamlining as long as the computer or transmitter doesn't fail - each has a battery. I personally don't see the point in a console mounted AI computer (there are some) but that's just me. Although I'm tempted by the Atomic Cobalt - but it's $1225. The OLED display is outstanding.

When you rent the reg, it will either include a hosed computer or a pressure gauge. Maybe both. Some also offer clip-on/wrist computers.

So yours just becomes a second redundancy - good idea since rentals take more abuse. Also if you learn yours beforehand you won't have to figure out theirs on the boat ride out to the dive site. Their DM will likely check to make sure it's on and functional before you dive anyway. As the previous poster mentioned, starting your diving logging all your dives is not a bad idea. Esp. since the Zoop is downloadable.

I second the wrist computer. You can find Mares Puck for 175.
Be aware of what you will be getting into. I can understand where Jim is coming from.

When I went to Cozumel, I had 20 dives. I did a 30 minute shore dive to do a weight check and look at the house reef. Next morning I am on the boat. We get to the first dive site and listen to the briefing. Ok, we are going to 90'!

I had been to 74 fsw before so it was not much deeper, but I knew I was in new territory now!

Spectacular though, have a great and safe time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom