Dive Trip Locations, Recommendations Please, Experienced Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwogger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for something outside the box.

Newly engaged Divemasters planning a honeymoon and we have a time frame of say September to December 2014 in mind.

We have never been to the South Pacific, Southeast Asia part of the world so that's probably what we're looking for.
Welcome all suggestions though as we can really go anywhere with proper planning.

The priorities, I guess would be something off the beaten path and split time between liveaboard and dive resort.
Liveaboard maybe 4-5 nights and then dive resort with maybe a hut over the water.

Thanks in advance. Outside the box!

Peace

Split trips between land based and liveaboard?

What comes to mind for me is...

- The Red Sea (North) this specific tourist zone is quite stable, do it from Sharm. You can do day boats (Camel Dive) or multiple night trips. Sharm is a hoot and you have to dive the Thistlegorm!

- The Philippines, Atlantis Resort runs just such combinations, an elegant hotel property! They own a liveaboard, as well. Macro insanity, muck dive too, currents like crazy.

- Maldives, such trips are quite easily arranged, and if you want exotic! They have luxury resorts and luxurious "hut like" simulations.

- The Galapagos, most liveaboards are 7 days, but an additional 4 days land based in Santa Cruz with Scuba Iguana (stay next door at the Red Mangrove) then do a few days in Quito, that would be a grand experience, consider the Hilton Colon (luxury at a good price)

Bali and Komodo fit the bill. Unlimited side trip possibilities along with great diving. Bali is cool to see without getting wet but it has real good diving and Komodo has amazing diving IMHO. I also second Fiji, if you get to lesser traveled islands like Taveuni or Kandavu...cities are the worst part of Fiji.

Thanks all!

And Doc, you had me at Macro Insanity!
I'll definitely research Bali and Komodo also.

I have heard great things about the Red Sea also but may not have considered. Now we will!

Woodiver, thanks for sharing your photos!

Looks like there are many possibilities in and around Bali.

I have been to Bali a couple of times. The diving off Amed is quite good but in three weeks I have not seen big pelagic life and no sharks at all.Among my favourite places are PNG and Solomon Islands. I would think about a week at Uepi Resort in SI and a week on the livaboard Bilikiki which I think leaves from Honiara. Another place where I loved the diving was Palau - the pelagic life was awesome but you need to like currents.

We will look at Solomons as well.

One thing that keeps coming up in conversation is Fiji because of the flights in and because of the liveaboard and dive resort opportunities in one geographic region (less puddle-jumping)

PNG and Solomons will blow your mind. Also consider French Polynesia - sometimes puddle jumping is worth it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom